Only a handful of people ignored instructions not to travel and drove into the Yorkshire Dales National Park today, officials say.
The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority ranger service, worked with North Yorkshire and Cumbria Police to get across their message to stay home and save lives.
David Butterworth, chief executive of the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority, said: “Despite the actions of a few, who ignored Government advise and travelled long distances to get here on Sunday, I am very grateful to the huge majority of people who heeded the message to stay home this weekend.
“People here have listened to Government advice and largely followed it.
“They shouldn’t be penalised for the actions of others, so I would ask, as we approach the Easter weekend, that everyone continues to heed the restrictions.
“I know it’s frustrating, particularly when the good weather comes, but the sooner we get on top of the virus the sooner we can return to some kind of normality.”
“It’s vitally important that people continue to follow Government guidance and not make unnecessary trips to, or around the national park, whether visitor or local.
Mr Butterworth added: “The Dales will be here for us all when all this is over.
“Stay home and plan your visit for when the restrictions on travel are lifted, and when local businesses will be ready to welcome you.”
Upper Dales county councillor Yvonne Peacock said she was pleased the rules had been generally adhered to.
“The national park authority and local police have worked hard to discourage people from travelling into the Dales and making unnecessary journeys and it’s good to see that people are sticking o the rules.” [kofi]