Overloaded power sockets blamed for Richmond house fire

The overloaded sockets. Photo: North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Overloaded power sockets were blamed for a house fire in Richmond today.

Fire crews from Richmond and Leyburn were called to the incident in Frenchgate at 1.26pm.

The fire was reported in a bedroom of the property.

The cause of the fire was due to a electrical fault caused by overloaded sockets.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We are reminding everyone not to overload sockets and where possible use the trailing leads when more sockets are required.

“The occupants were alerted to the fire due to the smoke alarm going off. Smoke alarms saves lives, test yours today.”

Nobody was injured in the fire.

The crews used four breathing apparatus, hose reel, thermal image camera and a positive pressure ventilation fan to deal with the incident.

Photo: North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.