Plans have been drawn up to restore a historic Richmond house which was lived in by two former Members of Parliament.
A planning application has been submitted to Richmondshire District Council for permission to carry out renovations to grade II listed Craddock Hall.
The property at 39 Frenchgate was originally built in 1660 by Joseph Craddock.
The son of the Reverend John Craddock who built Gainford Hall in 1603, Joseph became the first Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond in 1636.
He was elected MP for Richmond in 1661, but only lasted a year until he was unseated by an opponent who proved that because he was a deacon he was disqualified from standing for Parliament.
However, his son Thomas later became an MP between 1679 and 1689, moving in the hall after his father’s death.
A heritage report submitted with the application says that records from the 1673 Hearth Tax show there were 332 householders in Richmond who were eligible to pay hearth tax.
Around 40 per cent of homes had just one hearth with only five homes having more than ten hearths.
Craddock Hall was the largest property with 20 hearths — the most in Richmond.
The property was remodeled in the mid-18th century and again the 20th century.
If the application submitted by Matt Ball Architecture LLP on behalf of the owners is approved, the property would be completely renovated to create a single family home “restoring historic features where they exist and creating new elements where there is minimal impact upon significance”.
The heritage report states: “Craddock Hall is illustrative of 18th century development in Richmond at a time of great wealth and modernisation creating a high status property with fashionable Georgian features occupying a plot with long range views across the town and wider countryside setting.
“It also illustrates the way in which a former building was adapted during this time to present a building of high status on public elevations and retaining the old fabric to the sides where they are less visible.
“The Hall is also of great historic associative interest through its construction in the mid-17th century for the Craddock family who were notable local figures.
“The high status of this building reflected Joseph Craddock’s position in society as well as his aspirations which no doubt influenced the success of his son Thomas in government.”
The work would include the cement render being removed and a lime render reapplied.
All quoins and stone window surrounds would be exposed and would stand proud with the light colour to the render.
Rainwater goods would be reinstated where these have been lost, particularly to the front elevation using cast iron as originally intended.
The stone cornice and parapet would be repaired, while the bay windows would be repaired as far as possible, piecing in new stone where necessary.
All windows to the front elevation would be replaced with new six over six vertical sliding sashes.
As well as internal work, the roof would be repaired, with solar panels mounted to the top of the flat roof.
The rear garden would also be landscaped and a new garage built to the north-west.
For more details on the application click here.