Richmond Buck beat local rivals to book Dales Cup semi-final spot

Wensleydale Creamery League teams were in Dales Cup action on Saturday with teams trying to make it through to the semi-finals.

Richmond Buck progressed to the semi-final of the Dales Cup after a closely contested game against local rivals Richmond Academy.

Josh Wooff put the Buck 1-0 up with a carefully controlled half-volley, after a Liam Ryan free-kick.

Buck dominated the first half but Academy looked threatening from set pieces, and Gredziak, Lewington and Needham all put decent chances wide.

Academy were camped in the Buck half for the second period as the visitors seemed content with the one goal on sub Gary Walker equalised from a Lewington corner on 71.

Academy expected their youthful legs to see them through in extra time but Buck brought their first half intensity into extra time and went ahead after Micheal Slater ran onto a delightful lofted through ball from Jacob Tate.

Slater’s control was immaculate and set up a strike opportunity which he slotted home with accuracy into the bottom corner.

Minutes later Buck put Academy beyond reach when David Addison’s 30-yard ball released Luke Pearson on the break.

He looked to be too wide to score and the odds were on a cut back to Slater but Pearson took responsibility and found an angle to score and send the Buck through.

Elsewhere, Hawes brought to an end a run of defeats with a 301 win over Catterick Garrison.

Hawes opened the scoring following a Lloyd Iveson free kick that was flicked on by Matt Guy for Jordan Iveson to knock in at the far post.

Tom Wallis fired home from the edge of the box, before Tommy Calvert scored again for Hawes to make it 3-0 at half time.

Garrison came out fired up for the second half but the home defence held firm.

It was Hawes who had the better chances, although Catterick scored a consolation goal with the last kick of the game to make it 3-1 at the final whistle.

A much changed side from Thursday’s Cup winners turned out for Colburn in today’s Dales Cup Quarter Final at Spennithorne.

Colburn still went at it from the start and on the quarter hour, Tom Sweeney played the ball to Teasdale down the left, and his cross shot flew into the far corner, leaving Spenni’s keeper helpless.

Ten minutes later the lead was doubled, after Joe Woodall was played in by Sweeney. Woodall’s effort rocketed into the net.

The second half began with Colburn on the attack, again. Weatherbed set off on a good run down the left; he cut inside but his fierce shot came back off the post, for Sweeney to put away. 3-0.

Bishop’s turn now to drive a shot wide, but the lead increased on the hour, after some quality build up play finished with Sweeney’s effort getting blocked, only for Woodall to feed off the scraps for his second, and Colburn’s fourth.

Next followed five minutes of madness from Colburn’s otherwise faultless defence. Firstly some simple one-touch passing from Spenni, making the most of some generous space down the left, was completed with a ball across the box, and an uncomplicated finish. 4-1.

Almost immediately, a back post header and it was 4-2. Straightaway, Colburn reacted. Sweeney’s shot struck the bar, but on 72 minutes, his free kick was blocked, and Bobby Elliott was on hand to knock the loose ball home.

Four minutes later, a Sweeney corner was headed home by Bishop, while Woodall later got his hat-trick. Weatherbed and Sweeney completed the scoring.

Richmond Maverick also progressed beating league rivals Unicorn 3-0 with goals from Owen Kelly, Ryan Howe and Andrew Pritchard.


Medals Shield

Colburn 1-0 Leyburn

Dales Cup

Hawes 3-1 Catterick Garrison

Richmond Mavericks 3-0 Unicorn

Richmond Town Academy 1-3 Richmond Buck

Spennithorne 2-9 Colburn


Catterick Garrison v Richmond Town

Colburn v Leyburn

Richmond Buck v Unicorn

Richmond Mavericks v Reeth

Spennithorne v Carperby