Richmond Mavericks beat Carperby to remain in top spot

Richmond Mavericks remain top of the Scotts4Storage Wensleydale League Table after a good win over Carperby.

Mavs ran out deserved winners in the end, but the young Carperby team gave the visiting side a few scares along the way.

Carperby took the lead when Andrew Reynolds’ long diagonal ball was  controlled by Scott Alderson, who played it through to Scott Lambert.

He crossed for brother Sam to connect at the far post.

Mavs reacted well and got a deserved equaliser ten minutes later with Sam Pickersgill squaring for James Kelly to finish.

Both teams played well in the first half, with Michael Dent causing a constant threat to the visitors.

Carperby nearly went into the break in front when Sam Lambert broke clear,  but Dan Johnson brought him down on the edge of the area, and the resulting Paul Stephenson free kick was well saved by former Rovers stalwart Craig Marshall.

Mavericks started the second half stronger and took the lead when Wayne Gredziak showed his experience to arrive late and finish off another good Pickersgill cross.

Mavs took control of the contest when they were awarded a penalty after the combative Andrew Reynolds was adjudged to of handled and Pickersgill converted the resulting penalty into the top corner.

Gredziak then headed in his second goal from a James Kelly cross before returning the favour and setting up Kelly for a Mavs fifth

Carperby pulled one back with ten minutes left when Sam Lambert powered through the Mavericks defence for his second, but Mavs held out for the three points.

Hawes are playing themselves into the title race and recorded another solid win on Saturday, beating Spennithorne 3-1 at home.

The first half ended 0-0 with few chances at either end.

Hawes started the second half on the front foot however and took the lead in the 50th minute with a Macauley Acton goal.

The home side then went 2-0 up in the 58th minute with a neat finish from Ryan Alderson.

The chances were now coming thick and fast and Hawes went 3-0 up in the 60th minute with a Brett Calvert tap in.

Spenni pulled a goal back in the 64th minute through Kalem Stanger but Hawes held on for the win.

Elsewhere in the league, Richmond Town Reserves secured a narrow 2-1 win over Catterick Garrison, with Nathan Simpson and Tyler Spence netting for Town, while Unicorn enjoyed a comfortable 8-2 win over Reeth.

Results – 23.10.21

Carperby 2-5 Richmond Mavericks

Hawes 3-1 Spennithorne

Reeth 2-8 Unicorn

Richmond Town Reserves 2-1 Catterick Garrison

Fixtures – 30.10.21

Reeth v Catterick Garrison

Richmond Mavericks v Hawes

Spennithorne v Carperby

Unicorn v Richmond Town Reserves