Richmond Mavericks beat Catterick Garrison to make it 11 out of 11

Richmond Mavericks are yet to drop a point this season but were made to work hard for the win on Saturday.

This report is sponsored by:

Catterick Garrison went 1-0 up in the first half, but Mavs came back strongly in the second after the management team gave it both barrels at half time.

Goals from Reuben Bainbridge, Owen Kelly and Andrew Pritchard ensured the home side’s title bid remained on track.

After last week’s mauling at the hands of Unicorn, Colburn’s manager was another person issuing stern words ahead of their game with Spennithorne.

Coburn were pleased to welcome veteran’s Nige Cole and Ashley McInerney back into the team.

For the first 20 minutes, the wind was in charge up on The Jaffa, as neither side could come to grips with it.

Colburn took the lead on 22 minutes with Cole setting it up for Tom Sweeney to fire home.

Sweeney then had a freekick tipped over, before McInerney sent a fine ball in which found McCormack, who wriggled through challenges, making room to shoot home.

Four minutes later Sheridan played McCormack in to make it 3-0.

A shell-shocked Spennithorne were pleased to make it to the interval, without further alarms. Young Harry Jaques, in Colburn’s goal, had had a baptism of fire last week but had a much smoother ride today, remaining largely untroubled through the first half.

Manager Hammy Hamilton pointed out the problems the wind might cause Colburn in the second half, as it would be in Spennithorne’s favour.

He fully expected Spennithorne to really come at Colburn on the restart. But his fears were unrealised and after 20 minutes of the second period the game was effectively put to bed.

Shane Parkinson played McCormack in and he coolly lifted it over the keeper to claim his hat trick.

After 83 minutes, Colburn were awarded a penalty when Weatherbed was sent tumbling.

Spectators and Spennithorne players were convinced the challenge had taken place outside the area, but, in the absence of VAR, the referee stood by his decision and Sheridan dispatched the ball to make it 5-0.

Two minutes later and the scoring was completed when Teasdale put a lovely ball in for Murray to turn home.

League leaders also had a fairly comfortable afternoon beating Academy 6-0.

A questionable offside decision from the referee gave Unicorn the lead early on and it went downhill from there for the Richmond team.

The ref wasn’t the only one making the controversial decisions. Two substitutions from manager Paul Ramsay saw star striker Eddie Lewington come on in left back and central defender Andy Davison come on in attacking mid in moves that didn’t work.

Academy keeper had a day to forget as a combination of a lob  and a bottled 50-50 left him picking the ball out of he back of his net on regular occasions.

Late substitution Matty Turnbull failed to turn the game around and it was another disappointing performance from the Academy veteran.

It has been a frustrating season for HAwes who find themselevs at the wrong end of the table after challenging for the title last year.

They will however take comfort from a 3-1 win away at Dales rivals Reeth.

Tommy Calvert put the visitors ahead but Reeth levelled through Jack Thornley to make it 1-1 at the start of the second half.

Jordan Iveson swung the game Hawes’ way when he came on, with Tom Wallace making it 2-1, and Matt Guy making it 3-1 with a header from a fine cross from Jack Cloughton.

Elsewhere, Leyburn’s great season continued with a 7-0 thrashing of Carperby.

Callum Rankine got a hat-trick, with Scott Greenway, Stephen Moffitt, Ben Fawcett and James Stanger also getting on the score sheet.


Colburn 6-0 Spennithorne

Leyburn 7-0 Carperby

Reeth 1-3 Hawes

Richmond Maverick 3-1 Catterick Garrison

Unicorn 6-0 Richmond Town Academy


Carperby v Hawes

Catterick Garrison v Reeth

Leyburn v Richmond Town Academy

Richmond Buck v Richmond Mavericks

Unicorn v Spennithorne