Richmond Mavericks beat below-par Colburn Town

Richmond Mavericks lost out to Colburn in last season’s title race but had won five out of five this season before the teams met on Saturday.

And it was six out of six by 4pm after Mavs benefited from a below-par performance from the ‘burn.

The Richmond team went 4-0 up through two goals from James Kelly, and efforts from Reuben Bainbridge and Andrew Pritchard.

Colburn managed two late replies with Callum Sheridan, set up by Stuart Murray, and Luke McCormack, assisted by Sheridan.

The season will not be decided by this one result, and it must serve as a wake-up call for Town if they are to defend their title.

While Mavs are closing fast, Unicorn stayed top with an impressive 4-1 win against Richmond Buck Inn in the Newbiggin derby

On a blustery day in Brompton-on-Swale, Mark Simms starred for Uni as he clinically punished individual Buck defensive errors twice in the first half and then by lobbing the keeper in the second half.
Buck gave some fight in the second half after making two subs and it was the impressive pair of Micheal Slater and Danny Allen that combined for what turned out to only be a consolation goal.

After a difficult run of games, Academy hosted Carperby who were fresh from the upturn in form the previous weekend.

Academy lost electric left winger Nathan Simpson to an injury through the week meaning they had five left footers watching from the sidelines through injury.

After last week’s clean sheet they stuck with the back three of Ornsby, Davidson and Steed and they once again put in a commanding performance.

Despite controlling the first 20 minutes Academy were unable to test the Carpbery keeper, but did take the lead when unfortunate right back sliced Gredziak’s corner past his own keeper.

On 37 minutes it was 2-0 as Donoghue flicked on a high ball and Hart run through and produced a calm finish.

Academy were much the better side in the second half and got reward on 64 minutes.

Turnbull had just been booked for a volley of expletives towards the ref and when the ball fell to him on the edge of the box he used all his anger to fire past the keeper.

Ornsby made it 4-0 when his deep cross from the right somehow found its way past the keeper before Gredziak made it five on 84 minutes after springing the offside pass from a threaded ball from Needham who put in a man of the match performance in the centre of the park.

There was time for one more goal when popular squad member Jonny Carr finished off a pass from Hart on his league debut.

The goal sparked joyous scenes on the sideline and will surely give the management team and selection headache over the coming weeks.

Spennithorne and Harmby welcomed Reeth to Ferrand Park and on a short unbeaten run.

And the home side were in the lead after just 38 seconds, when a through ball found David Hickin who slotted home.

Spennithorne dominated from the off – and Crooky made it 2 – 0 after just seven minutes.

The game then swung in Reeth’s favour as Spenni lost there formation and the visitors pulled one back through Josh Hammond, but the home side sealed the win with another goal from Hickin.

In the day’s only other game, Leyburn beat out-of-form Catterick Garrison 3-2.

A James Stanger goal just before the break gave the Dales team a 1-0 lead at half time. They then sealed the points with late goals from Stanger and Callum Rankine.

Colburn 2-4 Richmond Mavericks
Leyburn 3-2 Catterick Garrison
Richmond Town Academy 6-0 Carperby
Spennithorne 3-1 Reeth
Unicorn 4-1 Richmond Buck
Fixtures 3.11.18
Leyburn v Reeth
Richmond Buck v Carperby
Richmond Town Academy v Hawes