Richmond Mavericks beat Unicorn to edge ahead in league title race

Richmond Mavericks came from behind to beat Unicorn and edge ahead in the race for the Wensleydale Creamery League title on Saturday.

Unicorn took the lead with a Tom Keegan free-kick from a tight angle, despite early Mavs pressure.

The visitors increased their lead in the second half through Matt Chilton.

But Mavs came roaring back after making some changes. Andrew Pritchard reduced the deficit following a slick combination with Mark Sims.

Veteran striker Wayne Gredziak then volleyed in from the edge of the area, before Unicorn keeper David Mutch was sent off for a high tackle.

There was further late drama in injury time when Mavs keeper Ethan Lansdell hit the winner direct from a free-kick from the half-way line following a foul on Adam Dunwoodie.

Despite the win for Mavs, Richmond Town Reserves remain top after a narrow 3-2 win away at Hawes.

Two first half goals from Ed Lewington put the visitors on top.

But Hawes struck back first from a strike by Macauley Acton following a good run by Jordan Iveson.

Iveson then got on the end of a Dan Richardson cross to level, only for Owen Kelly to score the winner minutes later.

Carperby and Buck shared the points in their game when a win would have propelled either team into the top half of the league.

Buck had a good opening to the game with chances created but without really testing Carperby keeper John Pickard.

Carperby went 1-0 up after half an hour thanks to a fine lobbed shot from the left wing by James Spence, catching Buck keeper Andy D’Arcy off his line.

Buck levelled ten minutes into the second half after a great run and centre from Connor Metcalfe found Jacob Tate who made no mistake from four yards out.

Carperby replied soon after with a James Metcalfe strike from the edge of the area, which was too powerful for D’Arcy to turn past the post.

Carperby continued to create and spurn chances, but Buck responded with a Micheal Slater howitzer that was too hot for Pickard.

Colburn and Catterick Garrison played out two league derby games in the space of three days, with each club winning one of the games.

On Wednesday, Catterick won 5-1 with Sanny Lingthep getting two and Mathew Leaf, Stephen Fleming and Bishwa Dev Rai also netting.

But Colburn came away with the points on Saturday, winning 3-2.

Luke Hamilton, Joe Woodall and Connor McCormack got the goals for Colburn.

In the remaining league game, Leyburn beat Reeth 5-1 thanks to a Ryan Alderson hat-trick, as well as goals from Lee Davison and Ellis Wing.


League – 8.5.21

Carperby 2-2 Richmond Buck

Catterick Garrison 2-3 Colburn

Hawes 2-3 Richmond Town Reserves

Richmond Mavericks 3-2 Unicorn

Leyburn 5-1 Reeth
League – 5.5.21

Colburn 1-5 Catterick Garrison

Dales Cup – 5.5.21

Carperby 0-2 Unicorn


Dales Cup – 12.5.21

Richmond Buck v Richmond Mavericks

Leyburn v Bedale Reserves

Reeth v Richmond Town Reserves

Unicorn v Hawes

League – 15.5.21

Carperby v Leyburn

Colburn v Spennithorne

Hawes v Reeth

Richmond Town v Unicorn

North Riding Cup – 15.5.21

Richmond Mavericks v New Marske