Richmond Mavericks clinch league and make cup final

League champions Richmond Mavericks.

Richmond Mavericks had a week to remember with a win over Leyburn midweek sealing the league title and victory over Colburn on Saturday seeing the team through to the Dales Cup final.

This report is sponsored by:

The 6-2 win away at Leyburn meant the Mavs went six points clear of second placed Unicorn who only have one game left.

Three goals from Andrew Pritchard, two from Ryan Howe and one from Javan Asimba.

Jack Hammond and George Shaw got Leyburn’s goals.

On Saturday, Mavs beat Colburn 4-1 in the Dales Cup semi-final. Two goals from Nathan O’Connor, and one each from David Andrews and Andrew Pritchard, who has so far scored 35 goals this season, did the damage.

Colburn’s goal was scored by Luke McCormack.

The result on Saturday came after Colburn had put ten past Carperby without reply.

Six different players got on the score sheet with Craig Teasdale getting a hat-trick.

In the other Dales Cup semi-final Hawes and Richmond Buck played out a closely contested game, which Buck eventually won 3-2.

Buck started the brighter and won the early battles resulting in a flurry of corners. Stewart Fotheringham got one spot on, finding Micheal Slater’s head which found the net to give Buck a early lead.

Hawes played their way back into the game and looked threatening from corners themselves. Veteran Andy D’Arcy headed the post trying to clear one corner and then headed a goal bound effort off the line from the next.

Hawes went close when Tommy Calvert burst through the inside right and drew a finger tip save from the keeper with a low shot. Macauley Acton went close twice with headers from corners.

The equaliser came close to half time with Calvert scoring a strange one in the box.  His shot was blocked, but the ball came back at Calvert so hard that it hit his leg and went in.

Hawes took the lead with a beauty. Jordan Iveson picked the ball up and drove through the middle to draw out the last defender, before sliding it across to right wing-back Sam Iveson, who slotted it in the corner with a first time shot.

Buck had brought on Michael Ingram for Slater and it was Ingram’s involvement in a neat move down the Hawes left side which eventually found Danny Allen in the box.

Allen was brought down but the ref waited to see the outcome of the play, the ball rolling nicely for Connor Metcalfe to prod home the equaliser.

Buck were in the ascendancy and within minutes Jacob Tait had played a delightful cross field ball to Ingram on the edge of the box, who instinctively volleyed the ball first time, caught it well and the ball did the keeper for power, through his legs into the net to a rapturous, whole team and bench celebration

Buck went for the kill in the final 15 minutes with a number of good openings as Hawes pushed men forward. The final whistle was welcomed by the Buck who hope to win their first Dales Cup at the fourth time of asking. This was a classic cup encounter, closely fought, and the victory cries from the men in red and black were hard to take for the home team.

In the other game on Saturday, Catterick Garrison beat Leyburn 5-3. The visitors had two men sent off with less than a quarter of the game gone.



Catterick Garrison 5-3 Leyburn

Colburn 10-0 Carperby

Leyburn 2 -6 Richmond Mavericks

Dales Cup

Colburn 1-4 Richmond Mavericks

Hawed 2-3 Richmond Buck

Fixtures – 13.4.19

Colburn v Reeth

Hawes v Catterick Garrison

Richmond Buck v Leyburn

Richmond Town Academy v Spennithorne

Unicorn v Richmond Mavericks