Richmond Mavericks made to work hard by Hawes to remain unbeaten

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Richmond Mavericks maintained their 100 per cent record with a hard-fought win over a strong Hawes team boosted by the return of club stalwart Andrew Fagg after a long-term injury.

This report is sponsored by:

Two early goals, including a Ryan Richardson own goal, and a strike from Adam Dunwoodie gave Mavs a good start.

But a chip from Jordan Iveson after a mix-up in the home side’s defence reduced the deficit, while a goal from Brett Calvert after a Tommy Calvert free-kick ensured the scores were level at half-time.

Hawes went into the lead soon after the re-start when Dan Richardson headed home following another good cross from Tommy Calvert.

The Richmond team drew level when Andrew Pritchard scored from a free-kick on the edge of the box.

They then retook the lead after Kory Spink handled on the line, receiving a red card in the process, and Sam Pickersgill scored from the penalty spot.

The win was secured through a breakaway goal from Pickersgill.

Unicorn maintained their good start to the season, coming out on top in a tight contest with improving Carperby.

Unicorn deservedly took the lead through Shayne Ketley, but Wensleydale team started the second half well and got level when Ben Metcalfe followed in a corner to finish expertly.

Carperby continued to press Unicorn, however they were rocked back when their keeper Craig Marshall was adjudged to have given away a penalty after a challenge on the Unicorn forward.

Liam Reeves smashed the ball home to put Unicorn back in front.

Carperby continued to attack, without creating too many clear cut chances, James Spence coming closest when his left foot drive from outside the area hit the bar.

A last gasp free-kick into the top corner scored secured the points for Catterick Garrison in a close contest with Richmond Buck.

Buck started well with both full backs supporting the attack, and on 15 minutes Darren Smith’s inch-perfect cross found  Joe Arundell at the back post.

His header found the net for his first goal for his new club.

Garrison were level ten minutes later when Damien Hargreaves met James McCormack’s cross.

Marshal Thorogood was sent through on goal in the second half and brought a good save out of Garrison keeper Alfie Martin.

Buck had further chances and got their noses ahead thanks to a Stewart Fotheringham penalty after a controversial handball in the area.

Buck’s Shaun Charlton and Catterick’s Gavin Rudd challenged for the ball in the penalty area and the ref though it had been Rudd’s hand which had made contact, with Catterick adamant it had been Charlton’s.

The controversy seem to galvanise Catterick, with manager Lee McKenny making three attacking substitutions.

With five minutes remaining Garrison levelled with a Stephen Fleming penalty after a clumsy foul to set up a grandstand finish.

In the dying seconds the moment was seized by Tim Holland, who found the top corner from a 25-yard free kick to send the Garrison home with all three points.

Colburn were missing a few key players, affording keeper Priestley, who was not fully fit himself, less protection than he might have hoped for in their game against Richmond Town Reserves.

Nevertheless, Colburn took the lead on 15 minutes when Luke Hamilton played a fine pass to Craig Teasdale, whose cross was converted by Craig Hutchison.

Richmond equalised when Ross McGuigan was left unmarked at the back post to turn the ball in.

Tom Sweeney restored Colburn’s lead after a great surge and through ball from Bobby Elliott, but Richmond were level via a penalty awarded just before the break.

Kai Priestly made a good save in the Colburn goal but Owen Kelly was on-hand to knock in the rebound.

After the restart, Josh Woof took advantage of some shambolic defending to give Richmond the lead for the first time, but Colburn were soon back level through a McGuigan own goal.

A mistake by Colburn keeper Priestley, who managed to fumble the ball into his own net, gave Richmond the lead which was quickly increased through Kelly.

Fifteen minutes from the end, Richmond got a controversial penalty, which was scored by Tom Carnegie-Brown, to secure the points.

In the remaining game, Leyburn enjoyed a comfortable 6-2 win over Reeth despite the Swaledale team taking an early lead.

Carperby 1-2 Unicorn

Reeth 2-6 Leyburn

Richmond Buck 2-3 Catterick Garrison

Richmond Mavericks 5-3 Hawes

Richmond Town Reserves 6-3 Colburn

Fixtures – 1/11/20

Colburn v Carperby

Hawers v Richmond Buck

Leyburn v Richmond Mavericks

Spennithorne v Richmond Town

Unicorn v Reeth