Richmond Mavericks on track for unblemished league campaign

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Richmond Mavericks took a step closer to an unblemished league campaign on Saturday when they beat runners-up Unicorn.

This report is sponsored by:

Mark Sims got the Unicorn off to a great start when he scored after nine minutes, but Mavs were soon level through a Nathan O’Connor penalty.

Kalem Stanger then put the league champions in front.

mark Sims scored again to level, but goals from top scorer Andrew Pritchard and O’Connor settled the contest.

Richmond Mavericks now just need to beat Colburn on Saturday to make it 20 wins from 20 games.

Colburn may need to start better than they did against Reeth if they are to blemish that record.

Reeth were 2-o up at half-time following goals from father and son pair Danny and Kieran Plumb.

But a flurry of goals late on, including two from Luke McCormack, sealed a 6-3 win for Colburn.

It’s been a season of uner achievement for Hawes but the Websleydale team will take heart from a final performance of the season that saw them run out 4-1 winners against Catterick Garrison.

Catterick shaded the first half but found Hawes keeper Jim Guy in inspired form, who was only beaten once at the end of the half by Damian Hargreaves.

At the start of the second half Hawes’ Macaulay Acton ran through the away team’s defence before crossing for Tommy Calvert to tap home at the far post.

Brett Calvert then headed home from a corner. Tom Wallace fired home from the edge of the box to make it 3-1, before Brett Calvert agot his second in injury time.

Leyburn rounded off a good season to finish fourth in the league by beating Richmond Buck in the teams’ final game of the season.

Buck had the better chances in the first half but Leyburn played the better football.

David Addison caught the stand-in Leyburn keeper off guard with a low shot from outside the box.

Leyburn equalised with a powerful shot from David Addison from the edge of the Buck box, beating Buck’s own stand-in keeper Ben McGarrell.

Leyburn were soon 2-1 up from a Luke Wilkinson penalty and then 3-1 up from a flowing move through the heart of the Buck back line which was finished by lee Davison.

Buck grabbed a late consolation penalty when Micheal Ingram was brought down and Stewart Fotheringham dispatched the penalty.

Academy hosted Spennithorne knowing a win could cement a fourth place finish if other results went their way.

Despite scoring three in the last two games, striker Ronan Donoghue was moved to left back to cover for other missing players but that didn’t stop his run of goals.

Donoghue gave Academy an early lead with a headed goal from a Simpson corner and got the second ten minutes later when he finished a mazy run with a bullet from 25 yards.

Lewington made it 3-0 on 35 mins after Gary Walker dispossessed the Spenni defender and slipped him through one on one with the keeper. Academy were attacking in waves and Gredziak added a fourth just before half time as he burst down the right wing.

Academy continued to dominate in the second half and right back Sadler got the fifth as he burst into the area and hit a left foot shot that beat the keeper on his near post.

It was 6-0 less than a minute later as Lewington escaped his marker again to get his second of the afternoon.

The scoring was completed when Jonny Carr burst through and pulled the ball back for strike partner Walker to fire high into the net.


Colburn 6-3 Reeth

Hawes 4-1 Catterick Garrison

Richmond Buck 2-3 Leyburn

Richmond Town Academy 7-0 Spennithorne

Unicorn 2-4 Richmond Mavericks

Fixtures – 20.4.19

Richmond Mavericks v Colburn

Spennithorne v Catterick Garrison