Richmond Town come from behind to win

Richmond Town.

To the delight of manager Jonathan Kellett, Richmond Town came away from Harton And Westoe with a worthy three points after a whole hearted and committed performance last Saturday.

Despite having the advantage of a strong breeze behind them in the first half, Town found themselves behind after 25 minutes.

A well worked move from the home side resulted in Adam Bell scoring from close range, after which Richmond responded well and began to press Harton, causing them problems on the counter attack.

A week after his eighteenth birthday celebrations, Tom Carnegie-Brown produced a man of the match performance and went close in the 35th minute when from Ben Darville’s cross his header came back of the bar before being cleared to safety.

Showing no affects of last week’s celebrations Carniege-Brown was full of running in both defence and attack and after 40 minutes he won a penalty after being brought down by goal keeper Daniel Hebden who then produced a brilliant save to deny Darville from the spot.

After the interval, Richmond began to dominate the play.

Captain Jason Newall and defensive partner Simon Pinkney, both outstanding while the midfield trio of James Moohan, Jimmy Muir and Carnegie-Brown controlled the play.

Within five minutes of the restart Town were back on level terms. James Kelly won a free kick on the edge of the Harton box, Muir whipped in a great ball and having attacked the front post, Darville headed past the helpless Hebden.

Although now kicking into a strong wind Town continued to play the better football and should have taken the lead when Moohan blazed over the bar on the hour mark after good work Chris Pattison and Muir down the right wing.

Few real chances were being created from either side, but when he was called upon, Richmond keeper Callum Liddicott recovered to save well from close range after an initial long range shot from Harton had come back off the bar.

With just five minutes remaining Town scored what was to be the winner when substitute Adam Emson, back from injury rolled back the years to produce a burst of speed down the left wing before beating Hebden with a delicate chip.

Following the goal Harton and Westoe’s Jordan Fenwick was shown a straight red card for dissent.

Despite being a man down, the home side pushed forward looking for an equaliser but Town dealt with any threat and had two further chances themselves with both Darville and Emson going close to doubling their tally for the day.

The win see’s Richmond move into fifth position in the league, five points behind Harton and Westoe having played a game less.

A top four finish is very much achievable, which under recent circumstances due to player unavailability would represent a very good season which could still be topped off with a trophy.