Richmond Town end losing streak with win over Gateshead Leam Rangers

Richmond Town.

Having gone four games without a win, Richmond got back to winning ways at Gateshead Leam Rangers, coming from behind to take the points with three second half goals in a game played in extremely strong winds.

Despite still having a number of players unavailable, Jonathan Kellett made six changes to the starting eleven that were beaten by Darlington Town last time out.

A change of formation saw Simon Pinkney and Chris Layfield in a back four.

Man of the match Scott Guy and Sam Bainbridge played in a midfield three with Wayne Gredziak and Adam Walker picked to play in a three man forward line.

Richmond made a bright start despite kicking against the wind for the opening forty five minutes.

Guy was first to go close with a shot from 20 yards before Ben Darville created chances for both Bainbridge and Walker.

Neither getting any kind of touch that would have taken the ball over the line.

Much to their frustration, Richmond had the first of two goals disallowed when Walker was adjudged offside despite appearing to gain possession and run past Leam Rangers right back Ben Miller.

Having been the better team, Town found themselves a goal down after 34 minutes.

Some slack passing resulted in Conner Halpin with time and space inside the box to put the ball past Mark Walker. Minutes later James Wood could have doubled the lead after working his way into the Town box but fired over.

Richmond captain Jason Newall split the home defence with an inch perfect pass but Bainbridge mistimed his kick failing to get any contact on the ball and in the closing moments of the first half there was a let off for Layfield who misjudged a back header to Walker in goal that was intercepted by Wood,

But to the relief of Richmond the Leam Rangers front man shot wide of the target.

Knowing the wind would be behind them, Kellett was confident his side could turn around the deficit and not long into the second half changed to a 3-5-2 formation which payed dividends when Walker levelled the scores in the 63rd minute, firing home after a Darville shot was parried by Leam Rangers keeper Neil Postlethwaite.

Richmond were to start dominating possession and were playing some good attacking football.

Gredziak had the ball in the net but the referee ruled it out for a foul when to those in attendance it looked like he was just to strong for his marker when getting past him into the box.

Darville’s outstretched left leg put the ball wide from a Jimmy Muir free kick and Newall saw a shot come back off the bar having pushed forward for a Town throw in.

Muir and Darville combined again, but Town’s top scorer hit the side netting before Walker fired wide having won back possession on the edge of the box.

With 86 minutes played, Town’s dominance was rewarded when Newall’s free kick from the left was headed home by Darville who guided the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

With the game in added on time, Leam Rangers pushed forward looking for an equaliser in a rare second half attack and were awarded a free kick in a dangerous looking area, but Richmond cleared the danger and hit the home side on the break.

Darville wrapping up the points when unmarked rounded the keeper and smashed the ball into the empty net.

“It was good to get the win, it’s been a disappointing few weeks,” said Kellett after the game.

“We haven’t played very well recently so to come to a difficult place like this and get the points was pleasing.

“The conditions were terrible but I felt we managed them better and played some good football, even when the wind was against us.”

Richmond played at Gateshead Leam Rangers in their new change strip, kindly sponsored by Taylor Wimpey.
Goal keeper Mark Walker and Captain Jason Newall in the the new kit.