Richmond Town hammer Willington to move up Wearside League

Saturday's scorers Tafari Nicholas, Jamie Harwood, Eddie Lewington and Tom Kavanagh.

Richmond brushed aside Willington on a blisteringly hot afternoon on Saturday, scoring six without reply.

And the hosts had goalkeeper James Rutherford to thank from preventing the score from being into double figures.

James Stanger started at centre back on debut and his new side lead 3-0 at the interval with goals from Jamie Harwood who put Town ahead in the 14th minute when he headed home a James Coatsworth free-kick.

26 minutes had been played when Eddie Lewington doubled the lead after finding himself one on one with the keeper after a well-weighted Chris McNab pass.

Then on the stroke of half-time, Lewington scored his second, this time from the spot.

Having been brought down by Rutherford, he dusted himself down and confidently sent the keeper the wrong way.

Lewington, McNab, Coatsworth, Tafari Nicholas, Adam Walker and Jimmy Muir all had first half chances kept out by Rutherford while Lewis Cocks went close with a shot from 20 yards.

The second half continued with Richmond the dominant side, but they were again being frustrated by Rutherford who denied Lewington, McNab, Coatsworth and Nicholas.

The fourth goal did eventually come via Nicholas whose perseverance paid off in the 76th minute.

Five minutes later a Coatsworth pass picked out Lewington who crossed for Tom Kavanagh to finish a good move from six yards.

With 85 minutes played and Willington now looking demoralised, Kavanagh turned provider for man of the match Lewington, who completed his hat-trick, smashing the ball into the roof of the net.

With a minute of the 90 left to play, Willington had a shot comfortably dealt with by Richmond keeper Harry Dowding, the first time he’d been called into action all afternoon.

Richmond currently sit in sixth position in these early stages of the Wearside Premier Division season, seven points behind current leaders Gateshead Leam Rangers who have played three games more.

Next Saturday its a Monkwearmouth Cup first round tie at the Dave Clark Arena with Durham Corinthians the opponents.

Kick off is at 2.30pm.