Richmond Town knocked out of cup after missing chances

Joe Shields, scorer of Richmond's second goal.

Richmond Town were knocked out of this seasons Alan Hood Charity Cup by in form Wolviston.

But will feel it could have been them lining up in the semi final but for a number of missed chances.

Town started the better of the two sides and were creating chances surprisingly easily against a team with only one league defeat this season but were made to pay for not taking any of these in the first half.

Scott Ryan twice fired wide when through on goal and Chris Pattison’s shot was fired straight at Wolviston keeper Christopher Davidson.

The visitors first real sight at goal came via overlapping full back Jordan Jaques whose shot went across goal and high of Mark Walker’s cross bar.

Sam Bainbridge went close for Richmond from a free kick.

Shooting wide from twenty yards with Davidson rooted to the spot.

Man of the match Kalumn Holbrook picked out Pattison who was again denied by Davidson who pushed the ball out for a corner.

Jaques, looking to get forward whenever Wolviston had possession again tried his luck from the edge of the area.

Walker was alert and gathered comfortably but could do nothing in the thirty seventh minute when from a well delivered free kick Famara Jatta headed home unmarked.

Worse was to follow for Richmond when within three minutes of the re-start Wolviston doubled their lead through Michael McGee who converted Stewart Bath’s cross.

Minutes either side of the break Town’s top scorer Ben Darville almost found a way back into the game, heading Holbrook’s free kick over before flicking another header agonisingly against the bar.

Richmond did finally get the goal they deserved with fifty two minutes played.

From a Wolviston corner Adam Walker scored from a classic counter attack.

Substitute Ryan Booth then found the room to shoot but couldn’t get the ball past Davidson who saved comfortably.

With just ten minutes left to play, the game looked as good as over for Richmond when McGee timed his run to perfection despite offside claims making no mistake firing across Walker into the far corner.

Jonathan Kellett’s decision to bring Joe Shields on from the bench brought life into Richmond’s attacking play and the youngster made an impact when reducing the deficit once more, beating Wolviston’s off side trap to find the net despite Davidson’s best effort’s in the eighty second minute.

After being absent for a few weeks, his return to first team action will have given Kellett something to think about given the number of chances being squandered of late.

With time running out Pattison thought he’d equalised but was again kept out by Davidson before Booth again missed the target.

Deep into added on time with Richmond throwing everyone forward, Wolviston cleared the ball up field to McGee who was unmarked and after lifting the ball over the on rushing Walker put the ball in the net to complete his hat trick and put the result beyond doubt.

There’s more cup action this Saturday when Gateshead Leam Rangers come to Earls Orchard for a Monkwearmouth Cup tie

Kick off is at 2pm.