Richmond Town progress in cup thanks to Lewington brace

Eddie Lewington. Photo: LS Photography -

Richmond Town and Farringdon Detached met for the second successive Saturday at the weekend this time in the Alan Hood Cup.

A much-improved performance saw Town advance into the second round with a 3-1 victory, with man of the match Eddie Lewington scoring twice.

Richmond felt they had the better of the first half which ended goalless.

Lewington had the games first shot at goal after linking up with Tafari Nicholas, forcing a save from keeper Aidan Mutch who pushed the ball out for a corner.

Mutch was then called into action again soon after when denying Tom Kavanagh, back in the starting line up after a lengthy injury.

Scott Guy rolled back the years with a forward burst into the box but couldn’t find the touch to convert Jimmy Muir’s high-quality cross.

At the other end, Josh Fullerton was on hand to clear a dangerous looking ball into the box.

The central defender was  playing alongside summer signing Jamie Harwood in what looks like becoming an excellent centre back partnership.

Just before the break Farringdon went close from a free kick which was just high of he target.

There were early chances for both sides as the second half got underway through the busy Lewington and Farringdon’s Liam Haley, but the deadlock was broken in the 56th minute when Fullerton turned defence into attack with a weighted pass to Nicholas, who after keeping his feet picked out Lewington at the back post to score.

Town keeper Harry Dowden needed to be at his best when he tipped away Leighton Hall’s shot.# when at full stretch to his right.

Chris McNabb, back in the Town set up, came off the bench and made an immediate impact.

First he had a shot from 20 yards which was dealt with by Mutch but he was then on hand to double Richmond’s lead with 68 minutes played when from he finished a good move involving Harry Needham, whose through ball found Lewington who played the ball into the box.

Nicholas was foiled on the edge of the box having ran half the length of the pitch.

However from the resulting free kick, Lewington smashed the ball into the top corner with 13 minutes remaining. Moments later, with a hat-trick now on his mind, the youngster had a run into the box but was denied by the keeper who then went on to keep out another McNabb effort.

Disappointingly for Richmond they couldn’t keep a clean sheet as Aidon Stanton headed home, seemingly unchallenged from an 85th minute corner, but Town safely saw out the remainder of the game.

Next up, it’s back to league action with Bishop Auckland coming to Town on Wednesday. Kick off is at 7pm.

Richmond then make the trip to Willington on Saturday where play will start at 2.30pm.