Richmond Town reach County Cup quarter finals

Man of the match Scott Guy.

Richmond Town will be in the hat for the quarter final draw for this season’s North Riding County Cup.

However, a penalty shoot out was required to get past BEADS FC, from the North Riding League after an entertaining 90 minutes of action.

Richmond  found themselves behind three times. Town were caught cold from the kick off and were 1-0 down with little over a minute played.

But they soon got there passing game going and started creating chances.

Scott Ryan brought a save out of BEADS’ keeper and Sam Bainbridge had a shot blocked in a crowded goal mouth.

Ben Darville, his usual bundle of energy and constantly causing the opposition difficulties, tried his luck from 30 yards when he spotted the keeper of his line, but was a fraction too high.

Ryan levelled the scores with 22 minutes played after a pass from Darville, but ten minutes later Richmond were behind again after conceding from a free kick struck from the edge of the box.

Town went close through Kalumn Holbrook who hit the post, while a Darville header and a Ryan side foot volley were both kept out by the keeper.

However the stopper could do nothing in first half stoppage time after Ryan returned the earlier favour, having broke down the right played the ball to Darville, who scored one of the easiest goals he’ll score to send the teams in level at the break.

With the wind now behind them, the Richmond supporters on the sidelines were confident the team would continue to create enough chances for a comfortable victory.

The home side however had other ideas. Chances did come Town’s way; Jimmy Muir had a shot cleared off the line and Darville put the ball wide after a great ball by Ryan.

There was a let off shortly after when BEADS had a shot go narrowly wide of Mark Walker’s post.

A bizarre few minutes followed when the home side started falling out with one another and frustrations at boiling point despite the scores being level and being very much in the game.

With the language sending the swear meter into overdrive the referee reduced the home side to ten men with 66 minutes played after becoming the target of one such foul-mouthed tirade.

But within four minutes the home side found themselves ahead for the third time after a great strike from inside the box left Walker no chance.

It was looking like not being Richmond’s day. Further chances we’re created; Muir pushing forward, again went close.

After a good move his shot came back off the post. Chris Pattison blazed a shot high from ten yards out.

And Ryan Booth, back in the side after returning from an overseas military post, had a shot go wide of the far upright.

Town continued to get forward and their efforts, which were never in doubt, were rewarded in the 87th minute when Ryan’s volley found the back of the net.

With the game deep into added on time, Richmond thought they’d won the game when Darville headed home Booth’s cross, but celebrations were cut short by the assistants flag.

With no extra time played in the County Cup it was straight to penalty kicks.

Holbrook, Muir and Darville all converted to take a 3-2 lead.

BEADS’ third kick was put high over the bar to give Richmond the advantage.

Booth added a fourth for Town. The home side’s fourth kick was converted which meant Bainbridge had the chance to win the tie which he did when finding the bottom corner of the net.

Richmond manager Jonathan Kellett felt his team made far too much hard work of a game in which they could have put to bed long before the final whistle, but credit to BEADS who will no doubt feel unlucky not to have advanced into the next round themselves.