Richmond Town rescue point against Hebburn

Richmond Town rescued a deserved point in the sixth minute of added on time last Saturday after a terrific game with Hebburn Town Reserves at Earls Orchard.

Before kick off, both teams and those in attendance paid their respects to former Richmond goal keeper Darren Poole who sadly passed away recently.

Jonathan Kellett was without Kalumn Holbrook, and decided to give seventeen year old Tom Carniege-Brown the task of filling those big boots, his first start having impressed when coming off the bench during the first few weeks of the season and didn’t let anybody down.

 The visitors arrived having won their opening four games , and must have been confident of making it five after starting the brighter of the two teams. Richmond only started to get into the game with twenty minutes played.

Despite the stronger start, Hebburn struggled to find a way past Town’s back line, led by captain Jason Newall who was dominant through the afternoon.

Chris Pattison had Richmond’s first chance of the game with a typical run into the box but fired across goal and wide of the far post. Chances started to come Richmond’s way as they took control. Newall, Scott Ryan and Ben Darville all going close.

At the other end, Sean Thompson cleared off the line to deny Hebburn the lead.Richmond missed a glorious chance to go ahead when Darville fired over after being picked out by Pattison, who moments later used his strength to hold up the ball and provide a chance for Sam Bainbridge who fired  narrowly wide.

Just before the break Ryan tried his luck but his attempted lob didn’t have the height to beat giant keeper Aiden Grant.

Mark Walker, back between the Town sticks pulled off a good save from Nathon Richardson early into the second half,diving low to his left before the ball was scrambled away from danger.

Aron Burn had Hebburn’s next chance but he fired wide from twenty yards. Pattison was at the heart of most Richmond attacks, his pace causing concern got beyond his marker and crossed into the box for Ryan who agonisingly couldn’t get any kind of touch.

A Hebburn attack was thwarted by Adam Emson who injured himself in the challenge and after a lengthy stoppage had to go off meaning Town had to finish the game with only ten men having used their final substitution only minutes earlier.

From the resulting corner Aarron Williams rather fortuitously put the visitors ahead with eighty five minutes played.

Walker miscuing his punch saw the ball ricochet off the full backs head and into the net. With the game deep into added on time Walker made amends for his earlier mistake when he picked out Ryan with a perfectly weighted ball who having got beyond his marker saw Grant charging off his line towards the edge of his box and this time got enough under the ball to lift it over towards goal.

After what seemed a life time, the ball dropped into the net.

A super strike bringing with it mass celebrations both on the pitch and amongst the Richmond supporters who had been entertained by a terrific advert for the league.

Richmond play Sunderland West End at home on Saturday are with a 2.30pm kick off.