Richmond Town Reserves beat Carperby to lift Dales Cup

Harry Beresford scores Richmond’s third.

The destination for the final piece of silverware of the season was decided on Saturday with Richmond Town Reserves beating Carperby to retain the Dales Cup.

Town took the lead on 18 minutes when Mark Sims was brought down in the box but the ref waved play on and the ball dropped to Luke Pearson on the edge of the area who fired home.

They were soon two up and looking in control of the game when Michael Elliott headed home a deep cross from a free kick.

Carperby rallied though and got back into the game when Tom Barley headed home a Paul Stephenson free-kick on 32 minutes.

Carperby had their best passage of play for the remainder of the first half but failed to get the equaliser.

The second half started with Carperby determined to get level, but it was the Richmond side that got breathing space when half-time substitute Harry Beresford found himself unmarked at a corner and slotted home from close range.

With Carperby continuing to try and get back in the game, it left space for Town going forward and Mark Sims took advantage to make it 4-1.

It appeared that was game was over, however, Carperby kept playing and got a lifeline late on when Sam Lambert was brought down in the area and Michael Dent slotted home the resulting penalty.

It looked like it was going to be a frantic ending when Aidan Simpson’s speculative left foot strike from 30 yards managed to find the bottom corner in injury time to get the Dales side within a goal.

Town, however, ensured they got their hands on the trophy when Sims cut inside before firing home to get his second of the game.

In the final game of the Scotts for Storage League, runners-up Hawes thrashed Spennithorne 8-0

Macauley Acton bagged four, while keeper Jim Guy also got on the scoresheet with a goal from the penalty spot.

Hawes’ other goals were scored by Brett Calvert and Ryan Alderson.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.