Richmond Town Reserves climb table with wins over local rivals

The race for the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League title has been blown wide open with four teams still in with a realistic chance of finishing top of the table.

Wins over local rivals Unicorn and Richmond Mavericks suggest Richmond Town Reserves have put the disappointment of the Medals Shield cup final loss well behind them.

Richmond travelled to the Newbiggin pub team with the hosts looking for revenge after the previous week’s defeat in the Dales Cup.

Unicorn started the stronger and took the lead with a smart finish from Liam Reeves after being put through after 20 minutes.

Danny Allen equalised for Town after his first two efforts were blocked, before Tom Gilroy put them 2-1 up with a smart volley.

In a repeat of last week Town started the second half the stronger but Unicorn equalised when Bailey Proudlock took advantage of the Town centre back slipping when trying to clear his lines.

Man of the match Gilroy then took them game to Unicorn and created two goals for Mark Sims to put Town 4-2 up.

With eight minutes to play Town were reduced to ten men when Ramsay entered the sin bin and this saw a period of sustained Unicorn pressure which resulted in a goal from a set piece.

As Unicorn pushed for an equaliser deep into injury time Gilroy broke clear and chipped David Mutch from 30 yards to seal the points.

Gilroy scored two more in Town’s 6-2 win over Mavs on Monday despite starting on the bench.

Scott Ryan bagged a brace while Zac Cleminson and Mark Sins also netted.  James Kelly and Luca Sartini scored for Mavs.

Hawes’ faint league title hopes were all but ended with a 3-2 loss at Carperby.

Carperby dominated the first half against a Hawes side that had a number of players unavailable.

Sam Lambert gave them the lead after ten minutes when brother Scott beat the full back before playing a great ball to the back post which Sam controlled and finished well.

Matty Bradley then put them further in control after Tom Barley’s shot was parried out and Bradley struck a superb half volley into the bottom corner.

Carperby continued to create chance after chance with the woodwork hit twice, but they gave Hawes hope when an uncharacteristic moment of madness from goalkeeper John Pickard gave Kory Spink the chance to slot home into an open goal.

Carperby had more chances before the break but just couldn’t score, despite the home side arguing a Paul Stephenson effort had gone over the line after hitting the underside of the bar.

The second half started with Hawes playing a lot better, and with Jordan Iveson’s arrival just before halftime giving the away side an outlet going forward, however Carperby still had more of the chances and got the breathing space their play deserved when Michael Dent played Sam Lambert in to smash home his second of the game from a tight angle.

Carperby just couldn’t fully kill the game off, and Hawes ensured a nervous last 15 minutes when Jordan Iveson was played through to finish well, despite calls for offside from the home defence.

Carperby limited the away side to chances, and held out for the three points against a spirited Hawes side.

Catterick Garrison remain top with their goal difference helped by a comfortable 7-1 win over Askrigg

A bright start by Catterick was rewarded in the fifth minute when Craig Teasdale’s volleyed through ball was put into Stephen Fleming’s path.

He struck it first time giving the stand-in stopper no time to react.

Askrigg equalised when a shot from Liam Lawlor through the crowd took a deflection leaving keeper Mark Birnie helpless.

Garrison pushed on and retook the lead in the 23rd minute when Josh Pettler skinned three defenders, He dragged his shot but Fleming was on hand to poke the ball past the keeper.

A flicked finished before the break gave Fleming his hat-trick.

He then grabbed his fourth just after the break after being set up by Jake Oakes.

There was still time for further goals with Oakes netting and Damian Hargreaves scoring two, including a great solo effort.

Unicorn also beat Askrigg 7-1 on Wednesday with Askrigg’s goal scored by Jack Dalton, one of the Wensleydale team’s promising teenagers.


Askrigg 1-7 Unicorn


Richmond Town Reserves 6-2 Richmond Mavericks


Askrigg 1-7 Catterick Garrison

Carperby 3-2 Hawes

Unicorn 3-5 Richmond Town Reserves



Askrigg v Carperby

Hawes v Reeth

Richmond Mavericks v Spennithorne


Catterick Garrison v Carperby

Richmond Mavericks v Askrigg

Unicorn v Richmond Town Reserves