Richmondshire apprentice scheme welcomes new members

Sophie Egglestone and Henry Nel are pictured with Cllr Peacock and Andrea Leyland from HIT training.

A new scheme to help boost small Richmondshire businesses has welcomed its first members.

Yorebridge House in Bainbridge has received cash from the district council initiative – which has £30,000 in funding to help small district based businesses take on new apprentices.

Henry Nel, Sophie Egglestone and Nathan Louw will all increase their qualifications in the hospitality industry.

This story continues after the adverts:


The boutique hotel based in Bainbridge has received £3,344 towards their Level 3 and Level 5 apprenticeship courses and uniform.

The scheme aims to encourage economic growth, develop home grown talent and retain young people in the district. It is open to Richmondshire businesses that employ 50 people of less – with priority given to those with less than 20 members of staff; and have an annual turnover of less than £50 million. Cash is available for to employ apprentices and help with training costs – but both the business and the apprentice must be based in the district.

Most businesses are able to apply for 90% of the costs of the training through the National Apprenticeship Scheme, and this fund can support businesses with the remaining 10% towards the cost expenditure – where this cost is being met by the business.

“Encouraging economic growth in a rural area like ours is challenging – but developing home grown talent or retaining young, ambitious members of staff who would have to leave the area to find skilled work fits with our economic action plan,” said Council Leader, Councillor Yvonne Peacock.

“These three young people have been working in the industry for some time but will now increase their qualifications with our help.”

And Sophie added: “We are thrilled to have the support of Richmondshire District Council which has enabled us to provide advanced training to three members of the team to help them progress in their careers at Yorebridge House.

“In such a rural location it has often been a struggle to attract and retain local staff, being able to offer the apprenticeships as part of our in-house training is a great incentive for local young people to stay and work in the Dales, learning in a practical environment whilst earning money.”

For more information on the scheme contact or check out The next deadline for applications is 12noon on1st August.