Richmondshire beat York to reach last 16 of National Club Cup

Richmondshire defeated Yorkshire Premier League North leaders York on Sunday to win the North East group of the Royal London Club Cup competition.

This means that in each of their last three games they have defeated a past winner of the competition.

Having won the toss and choosing to bat York scored 181 for 7 in their forty overs.

York opener Tom Spearman, who had made a half-century against Scarborough in the previous days league match was out with just three runs on the driving Sam Wood into the hands of Rob Carr fielding at cover.

Tight Richmondshire bowling by Sam Wood and Josh Dowson meant the host’s failed to find the boundary in the opening eight over power play by the end of which the score was just 17.

Nick James eventually found the rope and quickly followed it up with another before cutting a ball from Dale Marshall, playing for the firsts for the first time since being injured in a pre-season friendly, to Matty McKiernan at point having made 19 off 39 balls the total having reached 47 at the start of the 15th over.

Duncan Snell looked on course to reach 50 for the eleventh time this season but fell four short when he was run out by a combination of Gary Pratt and keeper Tom Dowson.

The innings third partnership to reach 40 came between Bell and Charlie Elliot but just as earlier, boundaries proved hard to come by. A four and a six from Elliot being the only time the bowlers came under real pressure. Bell made 40 off 70 and his departure, caught by Mike Layfield at long-on with six overs to go, sparked something of a collapse as the home side lost four wickets in as many overs.

Matthew McKiernan was the main beneficiary of some cavalier stroke play finishing with 3-41, including the wicket of Elliot caught at cover for 24. Only 65 runs came from the final 10 overs despite beginning the period only three wickets down and a final total of 181-7 left the home side needing to bowl and field well to have any chance.

Rob Carr rode his luck early on slicing two fours just out of the reach of Daniel Woods at slip and failed to control a pull shot which just evaded fine leg, the opener continued to play his shots contributing 39 to a stand of 79 from the first 15 overs.

It was just prior to that point that the York skipper brought himself on to bowl and wickets in consecutive overs breathed new life into the contest. Gary Pratt had been content to work the ball around for his 23 but for some reason chose to charge at the spinner only to be out foxed giving Tom Brooks the opportunity of a stumping.

Carr’s indecision on 41 left him stuck on the crease and resulted in a successful lbw appeal, Woods sending back both openers in the space of four balls.  Mike Layfield and Matthew McKiernan regained the initiative for the visitors with a partnership of 51 in 12 overs reducing the target to 43 from the final ten.

Mike Layfield struck back-to-back sixes of George Keeley who prior to that point had bowled with good control conceding just 19 from his opening six overs but the batsmen then drove at a wide ball from Oliver Leedham and was caught by a diving Brooks behind the wicket for 44.

Despite the setback the visitors still looked on course to complete a straight forward victory but panic set in. Jonathan Moxon had Matty McKiernan caught by Elliot at fine leg for 14, and Woods picked up a third wicket, having Sam Wood caught and bowled, to finish with 3-23.

Fortunately for his side Matthew Cowling made 22 off 21 to take the total to within a boundary of the target before edging Guy Darwin to Nick James at slip.

With the scores level Tom Dowson chipped Charlie Elliot to Tom Spearman at cover, before Dale Marshall’s outside edge squirted away to the rope from the final ball of the 39th over to seal victory for Richmondshire. They will now play away to Doncaster in the next round on Sunday 15th July.

Unfortunately Saturdays league fixture did no have such a happy outcome with Richmondshire going down to a five wicket defeat at Middlesbrough.

Winning the toss and electing to bat Richmondshire’s never really got of the ground with Rob Carr out for two with only three on the board and Gary Pratt for fifteen with eighteen on the board. A stand between Mike Layfield and Matty McKiernan brought the total to 62 before Mike was out for 21, with Matty going on to top score with 59. 29 for Steve Mather and 25 not out from Tom Dowson put some respectability on the score with the innings closing at 188 for 8.

Middlesbrough innings got off to a much stronger start till Matty McKiernan took two wickets from consecutive balls with eighty on the board. With the scoring rate required being modest the Richmondshire bowlers were unable to exert the necessary pressure and Middlesbrough were able to take a leisurely pace to reach 192 for 5 to win after forty eight overs.

With only six points from the game and twenty five point wins for Great Ayton and Barnard Castle, this leaves Richmondshire third in the table, thirty behind Ayton and eleven behind Barney.

The 2nds faired much better with a ten wicket win over Wolviston.

The highlight being a partnership between brothers Andy and Mike Fleming, who both scored exactly one hundred not out in a total of 210 for 0.

There were also victories for the 4ths by 113 at East Cowton (Andy Dade 91, Harvey Websdale 4 for 18) and the 5ths by 8 wickets to Spennymoor thanks to two players making their debuts for the season, Jonathan Simpson taking 4 for 29 and Mike Irvine scoring 44 not out.

It was also a particularly good week for the 3rd team who on Tuesday took the clubs third cup of the season by beating Marton 3rds to win the Arthur Sanders Cup.

They set Marton a challenging target by scoring 170 for 2 in their twenty overs (Clive Layfield 85 not out, George Spink 34 not out and Owen Kelly 26). In reply Marton struggled to keep up with the rate against tight bowling and ended at 143 for 8.

They then on Sunday defeated Barnard Castle by four wickets. A bowling line up composed almost entirely of under 17 players shared the wickets as Barney made 152 for 7.

A sixty run partnership between George Spink and Clive Layfield got the Richmondshire innings off to a good start before both were out sparking a mini collapse to 78 for 4.

Stands between Matty Price (49 not out) and Tom Spensley and the Jordan Moss (21) steadied the innings and Richmondshire ended on 153 for 6 to take 20 points and move to the top of the table.