Richmondshire bounce back with win over Marske

Jonny Carr bowling against Marske.

The 1st XI bounced back from the disappointment of their defeat at Marton last Saturday with a 123 run win against Marske.

New batting find Sam Wood top scored with 82 in a total of 197 all out.

In reply, Marske slumped to 74 all out. On his first team debut 19-year-old Jonny Carr took 3 for 6.

Results elsewhere closed up the title race with Marton’s hundred per cent record coming to an end with defeat at Barnard Castle. The top seven teams are now covered by just ten points.

This was followed on Sunday by a seven wicket victory against Middlesbrough in the Kerridge Cup first round. Middlesbrough made a strong start after being put in to bat with their Yorkshire Junior prospect Yash Vagadia impressing with a quick fire 67.

The middle and lower order failed to build on the good start and Middlesbrough finished on 176 all out. Craig Swainson, currently unavailable on Saturdays returning to take 3 for 23.

Opener Rob Carr made a rapid 42 from 30 balls, while partner Gary Pratt was more watchful, particularly to see of Richmondshire’s former professional Toby Bulcock, who took 1 for 11 in his allowance of eight overs.

When Gary was finally out for 66 with Richmondshire on 146 for 3, 20 for from Steve Reeves and 20 from 19-year-old Matty Price sealed the win at 179 for 3.

Having defeated Aldbrough St John on Tuesday the 5th team went through to the Covid B Cup Final against Haugton 2nds Barton’s ground on Sunday. Clear man of the match was 14-year-old Alex Nimmo, taking four wickets and then anchoring the Richmondshire innings.

Put into bat Haughton made 104 for 6 in their twenty overs. In reply Richmondshire started slowly but when Alex Nimmo was joined by Marcus Griffiths the run rate accelerated and in the end Richmondshire timed their finish well, passing Haugton’s total on 105 for 2 with an over to spare.

In the league the 2nds woes continued at Seaton Carew 1sts. They got off to a good start with an opening partnership of 82 between Darren Van Der Vyver (50) and Tom Ward (28) in a total of 150 all out. Seaton knocked these off with the loss of just two wickets.

Both the 4ths and 5ths suffered their first defeats of the season. The 4ths losing by 15 runs at Maltby 2nds, stronger than usual as their 1st team had no game. All seven Richmondshire bowlers took a wicket each as Maltby were limited to 140/8. Richmondshire were then bowled out for 125 in the thirtieth over, despite the helping hand from a total of 41 extras.

The 5ths lost by by seven wickets to Eryholme. Batting first and with regular top scorer Warwick Forman unavailable, only Alex Nimmo (31) and captain John Bewell (14 not out) made it into double figures. The total of 113 for 9 wasn’t enough to seriously challenge Eryholme who made 114 for 3.

In a week of cup finals and semi-finals the Richmondshire teams had met mixed fortunes. The 2nds went out to Darlington. Having defeated Hartlepool by  eight wickets on Monday, with an unbeaten fifty from Gary Walker the 3rds lost the final of the Arthur Sanders Cup to Normanby Hall on Thursday.

Batting first Normanby set a tough target of 129 for 6 and despite a second 50 from Gary Walker Richmondshire were all out 11 runs short.

The 4ths went through to the final of the Ken Welsh Cup defeating Shildon by ten wickets. Batting first Shildon were restricted to 118 for 9 thanks to 5 for 20 from veteran Andy Dade. Julius Glagow (63 not out) and Clive Layfield (39 not out) completed the victory in just 14.3 overs.

They now must wait until the September 9 for the final against Redcar 1sts.