Richmondshire seal league and cup double

Richmondshire Cricket Club first team.

For the first time in the clubs history, Richmondshire achieved the double of the NYSD Premier League and the 40 over Kerridge Cup, all in one hectic weekend.

Having started the day 20 points clear they went into Saturday’s home game against Saltburn needing a win to secure the title. Saltburn won the toss and opted to bat on a glorious sunny day at Hurgill Road.

The Saltburn batsmen opened confidently and had progressed to 100 with only one wicket down when Sam Wood (5 for 47)  came into the attack to remove top Saltburn batsmen Rampreet Singh and two others in quick succession.

James Kelly picked up a wicket, Sam a couple more and Gary Pratt came on to take two wickets in his first over and polish off the innings with 3 for 6.

The batting of young wicket keeper Tom Dowson has been a revelation since he moved up to open and his 85 not out was the backbone of the Richmondshire innings putting on 116 in his partnership with Gary Pratt (57).

After Gary was bowled on 152 for 2 a couple of wickets fell cheaply but Matty Cowling joined Tom to knock of the remaining runs a wrap up the title in 33 overs. The celebrations had to be brief with the Kerridge Cup Final waiting the following day.

The start at Thornaby was briefly delayed after a sharp shower just before the scheduled 12.30pm start, by which time a large Richmondshire following had gathered. Winning the toss Richmondshire chose to bat hoping to benefit from a wet outfield.

Thornaby pinned their hopes on fast bowler Lewis Harper and for a while it looked as this might be justified as he regularly had the batsmen playing and missing. Saturdays hero Tom Dowson was dismissed for eight and Sam Wood soon followed reducing Richmondshire to 17 for 2.

Rob Carr and Gary Pratt then set about rebuilding the innings, gradually getting on top of the bowling. Thornaby bowled out Lewis Harper, using all his allotted eight overs, in the hope of picking up more wickets. With his departure the batsmen started to score more freely and built a fine a partnership of one hundred and fifty three before Gary was bowled for fifty eight.

Rob went on to score a brilliant century of one hundred and seventeen not out and Matty Cowling added a rapid thirty six not out to complete the forty overs with 240 for 3.

Thornaby rattled up twelve runs in Josh Dowson’s first over but Josh then struck back with a wicket in his second, soon followed by two more to end with 3 for 32. Craig Marshall bowled a typically economical spell and picked up three more wickets with 3 for 11. James Kelly, gaining in confidence every game, took 2 for 33 to bring Thornaby to 89 for 8.

In a nice touch of captaincy the ball was tossed to Jordan Moss, who having made his first team debut the weekend before, had so far not had the chance to contribute with bat or ball. Jordan’s off breaks picked up the final two wickets and completed a convincing victory by one hundred and twenty five runs.

While most eyes were on the 1sts there was other cricket going on with the 2nds, 3rds and 4ths completing their fixtures. Unfortunately the 5ths were force to concede due to the number of players called up to higher teams.

The 25 points from the conceded match the previous week had given 2nds the salver as top second team in the first division despite not having won a game all season. A record they hoped to improve on at Great Ayton 2nds.

Great Ayton set a formidable target with 242 for 9, with Ted While taking 4 for 27 on his second team debut. A fine ninety six from George Spink put them in with a chance of victory but they finally fell thirteen runs short on 229 all out.

The 4ths lost by two wickets to league champions Stockton. Batting first forty one from War wick Forman was the highlight of 121 all out total. Early wickets from Gareth Wood and Michael Platt had Stockton 30 for 5 but a sixty run partnership defied Richmondshire and Stockton completed the win on 122 for 8 after nineteen overs

On Sunday many of the 3rd team players might have preferred to have been supporting their first team at Thornaby but they found themselves at home, losing to Middlesbrough 3rds. Unfortunately no details are available.