Richmondshire into second cup semi-final with Pratt and Layfield centuries

Richmondshire 1sts went through to their second cup semi-final of the season with a resounding victory in the 40 over Kerridge Cup at Marske on Sunday.

Winning the toss and choosing to bat Richmondshire set about the Marske attack with Gary Pratt 50 hitting his first fifty off 48 balls and 100 in 87 balls. Michael Layfield 50 in 45 balls, 100 in 83 balls.

Gary Pratt was eventually out on 119 with the score at 248. Mike Layfield went on to score 126 and in a late push for runs Alston Bobb added 23 not out and Matty Cowling 21 not out. This left Richmondshire with a formidable total of 321 for 3 after their 40 overs.

In Marske’s reply former Yorkshire player Lee Hodgson scored 50 in off 38 balls and Saeed Bin Nasir 50 off 66 balls. When these two fell with the total just passed a hundred the Marske challenge fizzled out and with Sam Wood taking a hat trick in the 35th over, Marske were all out for 262. This puts Richmondshire through to a semi-final against Middlesbrough.

This form promises well for their 15:15 semi-final against Hartlepool in the MacMillan cup finals day at Stokesley next Sunday.

With most of Saturdays programme washed out Richmondshire 1sts had a chance of stealing a march on some of their rivals, with Hartlepool being one of very few places where a result proved possible. Unfortunately they could only manage a losing draw when the bowling of veteran Doug Mulholland confounded the Richmondshire batsmen. Richmondshire put Hartlepool in and 79 from Neil Coverdale helped Hartlepool to 166 for 9 in an innings reduced to 41 overs. Best of the bowling was 6 for 49 from Craig Marshall

The Richmondshire reply got off to a decent start but with Gary Pratt out for 39 on 60, Andy Fleming 27 and Mike Layfield (28) in the nineties the middle order then collapsed. This left Ricmond eventually hanging on for a losing draw on 134 for 9. This left Richmondshire with seven points, one more than most of their rivals who receive 6 for an abandoned game. Leaders Great Ayton move slightly further ahead as they managed a winning draw for 11 points.

All of Richmondshire’s Saturday games were wash outs but the 3rds took full advantage of the better weather on Sunday to score a decisive ten wicket victory at Normanby Hall to stay top of the table.

In midweek games the 2nd team were disappointed to lose out in their cup game by four wickets at Barnard Castle.

The Under 9s continued their unbeaten progress with a win against Northallerton. Coach Mike White reports:

Fortunately choosing the only dry day of the week, our U9 team entertained a much improved Northallerton team at Richmond School, eager to keep their unbeaten run going.  The away team won the toss and chose to set a total for us to chase.

Another consistent bowling performance followed, marred only by a couple of missed chances due to the slightly damp and slippy outfield and some over-enthusiastic snatches.  Four wickets were taken – all clean bowled and shared equally.  Joseph White and Max Percival had identical figures (2 overs, 1 maiden, 1 wicket for 2 runs) as did Raam Raj and Lottie Humphris (2 overs, 1 wicket for 5 runs).

At the drinks interval, Richmondshire knew that they had limited their opponents to a very winnable target but required a solid batting performance.  However, they were unusually cagey in their approach.  Many wild swings of the bat outside off stump were the order of the day, combined with some technically correct forward defensive strokes – neither of which brought runs.  However, Northallerton’s bowling was kind; a steady supply of extras helped the scoreboard to tick over.  Fortunately, the home side managed to get themselves together and contributions of 14 both from Max Percival and Joseph White – despite some very nervy moments – brought Richmondshire to victory by 24 runs.