Richmondshire teams enjoy North Riding Cup success

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

The Wensleydale Creamery League will have six representatives in the last 16 of the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup after some great wins at the weekend.

This report is sponsored by:

Catterick Garrison came from behind to beat Bishopthorpe.

The game started with Catterick enjoying almost all of the possession in the first five  minutes, however it was the visitors that took the lead with their first visit into the Catterick last third.

A defensive mix-up led to the front man getting in behind. Catterick flooded back but the attacker scuffed his shot into the ground and it took a slight deflection off Catterick’s centre half James Boyle before trickling into the corner of Tim Bishop’s net.

It didn’t take Catterick long to respond and three minutes later they were back in the game, Steven Files doing superbly to keep in a deep cross.

He held it up well, rolled his man and found Liam Walker’s timed run. Walker’s tidy low finish drew the sides level.

Catterick dominated for the next 30 minutes, with Bishopthorpe fighting hard to keep the scores level. Callum McCormack was enjoying getting forward from right back and looking menacing with his crosses.

Files was a constant threat and Catterick now looked assured at the back too.

Midway through the half Catterick took a deserved lead.

When Dan Deeney played in the overlapping run of McCormack, his cross with the outside of his boot perfectly picked out Damo Hargreaves at the back post. He rose highest and planted a great header past the helpless keeper.

Catterick utilised the new repeat substitution rule in the competition and made five changes on 30 minutes. Those five lads were to come back on in the 60th for five other lads, meaning everyone outfield got an hour in a show of strength from Catterick’s Squad.

Chance after chance went by for Catterick but with no end product and it was Callum’s Cousin at left back James McCormack that was to prove just as vital after positioning himself well to hook one off the line in the 42nd minute to keep CGFC ahead at half time.

The Garrison sent out with messages of more of the same and reminders to not let standards drop.

Despite Catterick’s constant threat the third goal didn’t seem likely to come, especially after Hargreaves’ somehow failed to convert Deeney’s cross when three yards away with an open goal at his mercy.

It did however come in fine style. Danny Bailey’s turn in the centre circle has more than a hint of the Coutinho about it. He drove forward and played and excellently weighted through ball into Deeney’s path.

To everyone’s amazement Deeney was actually onside for a change and when he is at full tilt there isn’t a defender in the region that will keep up with him. He finished smartly under the advancing keeper to wrap up a 3-1 win for the Garrison team.

Colburn travelled to Helperby in the with a strong squad of 14.

Manager Hammy Hamilton started with 4-4-2 to see how Helperby fared up.

Timmy Taylor was slotted back into the squad at left back leaving the solid pairing of Luke Hamilton and Nige Cole in the centre with Bash McInerney again starting at right back.

Craig Teasdale was on the right, Rory Wallace back into centre mid alongside Callum Sheridan with Joe Woodall on the left, leaving Tom Sweeney and Jamie Dempster paired up front.

Colburn started with the sun behind them and quickly put Helperby on the back foot forcing a corner within two minutes. McInerney swung the ball in, Cole connected with too sweet of a header at the back post which resulted in him hitting his header against the opposite upright, probably harder to miss than score. Maybe his fringe got in his eyes.

A goalmouth scramble resulted in another corner. Again McInerney swung in another perfect cross, this time resulting in the referee ruling Taylor had climbed on his marker.

Colburn continued to play on the front foot, playing some slick football, causing Helperby problems all over the pitch.

Wallace and Sheridan were both working hard in the midfield putting tackles in to break up any possible attacks from a young Helperby side. Hamilton and Cole stood strong against a couple of fast young Helperby forwards with Karl Latcham making the odd fine save when needed.

On 28 minutes a throw in from Teasdale to Wallace resulted in a through ball to Dempster who coolly fired his shot past the oncoming keeper 1-0 .

The goal seemed to spur Colburn on. Another attack two minutes later started from the back four. It involved Teasdale on the right, passing the ball into Sheridan who found Sweeney with a neat pass, Sweeney turning and firing home. 2-0.

As happened last week being two up, Colburn seemed to ease off to see the first half out with ease.

Hammy made three subs, taking off McInerney, Taylor and Dempster, for Tom Bentley, Shane Parkinson and Connor Weatherbed, changing to a 3-4-3 formation.

Colburn forced a corner within the first minute of the re-start, which the Helperby keeper collected in the air, taking it off the incoming bald eagle again at the back stick, Cole.

Wallace made a great run from midfield but was pulled back before he could get his shot off. The resulting free kick struck the Helperby wall.

Helperby seemed to lift themselves and put Colburn under some pressure. Their fast young strikers were trying to find a way through but to no avail.

On 68 minutes Parkinson collected the ball and played a great reverse pass to Teasdale who this time composed himself to calmly slot the ball home to make it 3-0.

Now Colburn were back in control. Woodall was relishing his role in the front three, causing all sorts of problems with his tantalising runs.

Hammy used the rolling subs to Colburn’s advantage, taking off Teasdale and Sheridan and re-introducing Taylor and McInerney.

Weatherbed was using his pace down the left swinging in a few good crosses but Sweeney’s connections were slightly off. On 84 minutes, Woodall took on two players, but was fouled just outside the box.

Sweeney placed the ball down, but his shot was deflected for a corner.

A poor clearance found Sweeney on the edge of the box and he fired home for his second on 85 minutes. An all round good performance from Colburn, keeping the recent winning run going.

Richmond Mavericks also progressed thanks to a 7-3 win over Kirkbymoorside Reserves.

In-form Adam Emson got another hat-trick for the Creamery League side, while Nathan O’Connor got two.

Leyburn Town went through winning 10-9 on penalties after the game finished 3-3.

Keifer Bottomley, Lee Davison and Kalem Stanger scored for the Wensleydale team.

Hawes were through after their opposition pulled out, while the only team to lose was Reeth which were on the wrong side of a 17-2 hiding at the hands of Edgehill.

In the league, Richmond Buck took advantage of their rivals’ cup games, beating Academy 4-0.

Once again the Richmond Academy side fielded a very young team with nine teenagers in their starting 11.

The youngsters edged a goalless first half, out-fighting and out-playing a Buck side that struggled to get going and find any rhythm.

Academy had several good chances that they pulled wide, whist Buck striker Danny Allen saw a goal bound effort cleared off the line after Academy and former Buck keeper Kenny Mudd spilt a cross.

The main talking point at half-time was a last ditch scything down by an Academy defender of Mark Swanwick when clean through, only for the ref to wave play on.

However Buck manager Stewart Fotheringham was questioning whether he’d have been better speaking to the nearby beck rather than his players before the match, on the evidence of their first half display.

Buck switched formation thanks to number two Luke Pearson and began to take control, with their natural wingers now playing on the wing and their two strikers playing more as a pair.

Two minutes into the second half, good work from Ben McGarrell and Danny Allen released Jacob Tate down the right wing who delivered the ball on a plate for Marshal Thorogood to head home.

Buck’s second goal five minutes later was route one via a long (if not probable foul) throw in from Ken Williams who found the head of Danny Allen who found the net.

Academy kept knocking on the door to their credit and were continuing to play attractive football. They had a great chance when Lewington slipped through Ronan Donaghue who shot just wide with only the keeper to beat.

Buck’s wingers began to dominate as the game progressed. Another awesome little cross from Jacob Take found Adam Hodgkinson for a front post header, 2 minutes after being subbed on.

A precise through ball from Hodgkinson in the dying moments found Thorogood for his second as he coolly beat the keeper when one on one.

Also in the league, Unicorn beat Carperby 7-0 but god knows who scored as nobody could be bothered to send in details..