Few surprises as Creamery League title chasers all win

There were few surprises in the Wensleydale Creamery League on Saturday with the likely title contenders enjoying comfortable wins.

This report is sponsored by:

Hawes United beat Reeth 6-0 and the score could have been higher.

The game was switched to Askrigg due to both the Hawes and Reeth pitches being flooded.

 Hawes had much of the possession, but Reeth held them at bay for 42 minutes until they were caught holding a high line.

Hawes’ Matt Guy was working tirelessly to put the Reeth defenders under pressure and he got his reward with the only goal of the first half after the home sided wasted numerous chances in the final third.

The second half followed suit with Hawes rarely threatened by the opposition from over the hill.

Tommy Calvert and Tom Wallis were menaces all day down the right for Hawes,

This was the catalyst for Hawes’ second goal with Matt Guy again on hand to double his tally.

The third was an own goal with Guy again heavily involved with his shot deflecting off the defender.

Tom Wallis got his reward by adding the fourth with a smart low finish.

Hawes went close again when Lloyd Iveson struck the bar from 25 yards. Jordon Iveson then grabbed two late goals to complete a comprehensive victory.

Richmond Buck were left disappointed with themselves for not giving more fight after a flat performance which they felt they allowed themselves to be bullied by a spirited and battling Catterick Garrison team on a freezing afternoon on the camp.

Buck were disadvantaged by playing with an injured keeper Mark Briggs, who in the first few minutes has made two great saves.

Catterick were relishing a chance to lock horns with the Buck after the Richmond team’s dramatic late equaliser when the team’s met earlier in the season

Early chances from Catterick’s Boyle and Jenks went close but it was a fine finish from Tim Holland that gave the Home side a ninth minute lead.

The Buck keeper dragged his kick down the middle where Holland took an instant touch before curling a left footed chip over the keeper and into the corner from 40-yards.

Th eBuck’s Shorty Ingram was at his dogged best at left back to try stem attacks but Catterick were still getting through.

It took until the 30th minute for the lead to be extended. A great move ended with Stephen Fleming going round the keeper and unselfishly squeezed a pass between keeper and last defender to Danny Bailey at the back post for a tap in.

Buck were a little improved in the opening exchanges of the second half, playing with the slope and the wind.

There was an uncharacteristic mistake by Garrison keeper Tim Bishop, whose throw out was intercepted by Marshal Thorogood.

He sprinted past his marker and got to the bye-line but his centre was cut out for a corner by a Garrison defender.

Catterick also came out of the blocks quickly in the second half and thought they had extended the lead early on.

Jenks latched on to a through ball and dinked it over the keeper. As the ball trickled towards the line he shouted “leave it Danny” to Bailey who was now the only other player in the box.

Bailey attempted to escort the ball to the line to allow Jenks reward for his finish, however it was trickling towards the post so was tapped in.

However, the ref didn’t give the goal as he said the player shouted ‘leave it’.

The decision was questioned by Catterick however the goal was chalked out.

Close to the hour mark Buck could have been back in it but were effectively out of it.

Thorogood broke through one on one with Bishop but Bishop forced him wide and the chance was gone.

Catterick broke quickly and Holland threaded a ball through to Fleming who produced an exquisite lobbed finish from just inside the box. It was a finish of the highest caliber to extend the lead to three.

Fleming then went from the sublime to the ridiculous when he received a yellow card for going down to easy on the edge. There was slight contact but that didn’t cause his arms to flail.

Second half sub Damian Hargreaves wrapped the game up at 4-0 when he rose highest to head in a Holland Corner.

Both keepers made brilliant saves in the last ten minutes. Bishop in the Catterick net was on hand to make a wonderful double stop from six and eight yards respectively – the second of those coming directly off his now blue nose and away to safety.

Unicorn ran out 3-1 winners in a victory over a slightly depleted Leyburn team without breaking too much of a sweat.

Despite Unicorn controlling the first half, the teams went in level.

Unicorn had been unable to find their killer instinct; Mike Elliott sending a free header down the keeper’s throat and Liam Reeves missing a glorious chance from on the goal line after a lovely piece of skill and a dink over the keeper by Shayne Ketley.

As the game wore on Unicorn freshened things up, and on came Dave Hickin in place of Shaun Charlton who wasn’t getting the service.

Hickin repaid his managers bold decision to introduce him, by instantly turning provider.

On the hour mark, following some great inter play with Crowther, Hickin whipped a cross to the back post, where Dale ‘The Hound Dog’ Middleton was on hand to turn the ball home on the slide.

Fifteen minutes later Unicorn doubled their lead as Liam Reeves’ single motion swivel and shot flashed across the keeper and into bottom corner after Nick Marshall’s shot had been blocked and spun into Reeves’ path.

Leyburn instantly reduced the deficit. When Middleton was found way out of position leaving his doppelganger Sam Lane, to cross unchallenged into the box, only for the point blank header to be expertly saved by David Mutch.

Unfortunately Mike Elliott found himself stuck in toffee – not for the first time that afternoon – and didn’t react quickly enough to make the clearance, allowing Leyburn’s Macaulay Acton to stab home.

Unicorn weren’t done though and after Middleton made another unorthodox burst in field, to a rapture of dog barks from the visiting fans.

He laid the ball off to Ryan Crowther, who remembered how to kick a ball correctly for the first time in half a decade, and unleashed a furious, low-rising thunderbolt in off the post, putting the game to bed.

Elsewhere, Mavericks put ten past Carperby without reply, who were only able to field ten men.

Luke McCormack got a hat-trick, while Brandon Bishop, Daniel Shoulder and James Kelly got two a piece.

Colburn travelled to Spennithorne for this league encounter on a bright but very cold afternoon.

Colburn attacked the Spenny goal right away creating chance after chance but yet again failing to convert any of these.

An early corner in the first minute saw Nige Cole rise at the back post to head narrowly wide

There was some more pressure from Colburn with shots from Joe Woodall, Rory Wallace, Tom Sweeney, AshleyMcInerney – but all rising high over the Spenny crossbar.

Connor Weatherbed had a cheeky shot strike the post, with the Spenny keeper making a one handed save from Woodall.

Eventually after 22 minutes and about the 10th attempt at goal, Colburn managed to take a deserved lead.

A corner from Craig Teasdale saw Cole head back across goal allowing Sweeney a simple tap in.

More Colburn pressure followed with some great football, with Sweeney finding a neat pass on 29 mins to Teasdale who smashed home a low drive into the bottom corner.

A couple of minutes later and Colburn were three up after Sweeney took on three Spenny players and slotted a great left footer past the Spenny keeper.

Half time saw Ross Drury take the place of Weatherbed on the left with immediate effect.

Drury’s first touch was an assist to Sweeney who grabbed his hat-trick.

This was the start Colburn needed.

Drury was next on the score sheet with only his second touch after only four mins of the restart.

This time Sweeney obliged with the assist to Drury who calmly stroked the ball home.

Manager Hamilton then took off Callum Henney to give a debut to 16-year-old Charlie Piechniczek, who at 16 years and 5 days, was one of Colburn’s youngest debutants.

Charlie was straight in on the action taking on a Spenny defender before crossing to Woodall. This chance was saved by the keeper.

McInerney was involved in a tackle which saw his shoulder pop out of place. After a few minutes it somehow popped back in – Luke Hamilton and Nige Cole both going white and nearly sick.

McInerney carried on for a few minutes but decided it be safer to take a rest rather than take the chance of doing more damage.

Colburn played the remainder of the match with ten men.

Woodall was very lively upfront again creating chances. The Spenny keeper was again a busy man.

Drury again had a shot saved only for the ball to fall to Sweeney who this time chipped the stranded keeper for his fourth and Colburn’s sixth.

A comfortable 6-0 win but much credit to Spennithorne who kept battling till the end. They have some good young footballers coming through and hopefully this will benefit them in the future.



Catterick Garrison Football Centre 4 – 0 Richmond Buck Inn

Hawes United 6 – 0 Reeth & District Athletic Club

Leyburn Town 1 – 3 Unicorn FC 

Richmond Mavericks 10 – 0 Carperby Rovers 

Spennithorne & Harmby 0 – 6 Colburn Town


Fixtures – December 2, 2017


North Riding Challenge Cup

Catterick Garrison Football Centre v West Pier

Colburn Town v Thirsk Falcons Firsts

Lingdale Village v Leyburn Town

Richmond Mavericks v Edgehill

Sleights FC v Hawes United


Spennithorne & Harmby v Unicorn FC

Richmond Buck Inn v Reeth & District Athletic Club

Richmond Town Academy v Carperby Rovers