Ten-man Catterick Garrison recover to stay seven points clear

League leaders Catterick Garrison bounced back from defeat the previous week to maintain their grip on the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League on Saturday with a hard-earnt win over Spennithorne.

With Catterick only having ten men and Spennithorne a bare 11, it was a challenging afternoon for both teams.

Spenni took the lead through Jack Crook who scored after a lightning fast counterattack. Crook got his second minutes later with a long-range rocket.

Joe Walker then tapped in at the back post to make it 3-0 to the Wensleydale team.

Catterick were given hope just before the break when Stephen Fleming converted from the spot after he had been dragged down in the area.

A change of formation at the break helped Catterick gather momentum in the second half and the visitors pulled another goal back when Mike Wai crashed in a low drive into the far corner.

The game was soon level after Fleming connected when Jez Mortimer guided a header back into the danger area.

Damian Hargreaves then outpaced the Spenni defence before lobbing the keeper to make it 4-3 to the visitors.

Mortimer then showed great desire to get on the end of a through ball from Neil Wright to make it five, before the same player sealed the win with a good free-kick.

Elsewhere, Carperby came out on top against Richmond Mavericks after a spirited performance where they were twice behind.

Mavs took the lead after some confusion in the box and the ball dropped to James Kelly who slotted home.

Carperby equalised when James Metcalfe picked the ball up on the edge of the area and fired into the top corner.

Mavs went back in front after some poor marking left a player free to head home from a corner, which a Carperby defender was disappointed not to clear off the line.

Carperby played some good football but couldn’t get an equaliser before half-time.

The second half started with Carperby on top and creating a number of chances but they couldn’t score, and they were nearly punished for when James Kelly went clear, but John Pickard saved well one on one.

The equaliser came when Scott Lambert’s ball into the box was only headed into the air by the Mavs defender, and the ball dropped to man of the match Matty Bradley to hit a superb, first-time volley that went in off the post.

The winner came not long after when a great piece of skill from Michael Dent created space for him to play an excellent through ball to Sam Lambert, who lobbed the ball over Craig Marshall into the far corner.

Mavs put pressure on Carperby until the end, but it was the home side who nearly got a fourth on the counter attack, but Marshall saved well twice late on.

Unicorn maintained their title challenge with an 8-0 demolition of Reeth, with Liam reeves bagging four.

In the remaining game of the day, Richmond Town Reserves beat Askrigg 5-1.

Two goals from Thomas Gilroy, and one each from Zac Cleminson, Sean Thompson and Harry Beresford did the damage for Town.

Askrigg’s goal was scored by Richard Sunter.


Results – 4.3.23

Askrigg 1-5 Richmond Town Reserves

Carperby 3-2 Richmond Mavericks

Spennithorne 3-6 Catterick Garrison

Unicorn 8-0 Reeth


Fixtures – 11.4.23

Carperby v Spennithorne

Catterick Garrison v Askrigg

Richmond Mavericks v Hawes

Richmond Town Reserves v Reeth

1 Comment

Comments are closed.