Three teams remain unbeaten in Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League

Three teams remain unbeaten in the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League.

Catterick Garrison continued their early good form which saw them beat Unicorn on the first day of the league season with another win over title hopefuls Richmond Mavericks.

A youthful Mavs were 2-0 up within 20 minutes after goals from brothers James and Owen Kelly.

After squandering a number of chances, Catterick pulled a goal a back before the break when Damian Hargreaves smashed the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Both sides had chances with Scott Leeming making a fine double save in the Garrison goal.

Catterick drew level on the hour when Craig Teasdale hit a stunner from 30 yards which flew across the keeper and into the far corner.

Catterick then took the lead on the 80th minute when Hargreaves slid in Jez Mortimer, whose touch took him past the last defender. He then crashed his right foot strike across the keeper.

Matty Leaf has the chance to extend the lead but was unlucky to see his shot cannon out off the inside of the post.

At the other end, Owen Kelly has a shot saved from close range.

Elsewhere, Hawes had a comfortable afternoon, beating local rivals Askrigg 11-0, despite a number of their former stalwarts turning out for the new team.

Luke Wilkinson and Tom Calvert both scored hat-tricks, while Wilf Dinsdale and Kory Spink scored two each.

Harrison Stott netted the final goal.

Richmond Town Reserves are also on maximum points after a 15-0 demolition of Reeth.

Harry Beresford got four and only played for the second half, while Zac Cleminson netted three and Josh Wooff two.

The other scorers were Michael Elliott, Sean Thompson, Danny Weatherill, Lee White and Joseph Ramsay.

The game between Spennithorne and Carperby was a tighter affair.

Spenni took the lead after good work from George Shaw, winning the ball back on the halfway line before running past a Carperby defender and squaring for Kalem Stanger to slot home.

Carperby had a lot of possession and got level when Scott Lambert Cooley converted a penalty just before half-time.

Carperby continued to have the most of the ball in the second half and got in front with Scott Lambert’s excellent strike from just outside the area which went flying into the top corner.

Sam Lambert then got on the score sheet when Michael Dent’s clever through ball was poked home by the striker.

Tim Weatherill made sure of the points with another excellent strike from just outside the box went into the top corner.

Carperby also hit the bar twice, through Aidan Simpson then Lee Thompson, but were pleased to secure their first league points of the season.

Results – 24.9.22

Catterick Garrison 3-2 Richmond Mavericks

Hawes 11-0 Askrigg

Reeth 15-0 Richmond Town Reserves

Spennithorne 1-4 Carperby

Fixtures – 1.10.22


Unicorn v Askrigg

North Riding Cup

Boro rangers Development v Hawes

Carperby v Lealholm

Catterick Garrison v Whitby Fishermen

Rawcliffe Reserves v Spennithorne