Title hopefuls bounce back after defeat in Wensleydale Creamery League

Two Wensleydale Creamery League title contenders bounced back on Saturday after both losing the previous week.

This report is sponsored by:

Richmond Mavericks ensured it was a bad week for Colburn with a 7-0 away win in the league, after the home side had been knocked out of the Medals Shield in midweek.

Steve MacDonald had a couple of early efforts saved for Colburn in their league game against Mav, while Tom Sweeney had one chalked off for offside.

Mavs then took the lead when a Mark Sims deflected shot flew past Colburn’s stand-in keeper Liam Ryan.

Ryan suffered further misfortune two minutes later when his attempted clearance struck Andrew Pritchard and rolled into the net.

Manager Michael Sartini, forced by circumstances to play himself in midfield, made a couple of substitutions, and Luke Hamilton had a shot saved, but then two more Mavs goals effectively put the game to bed.

First it was Dan Johnson heading home from a Sims corner, then five minutes before the break, Bradley Galloway pulled the ball back from the right for Sims to collect his second and Mavs’ fourth.

Colburn did try to come back, but Shane Parkinson pulled one wide and Callum Henney shot straight at the keeper.

In the second half, Sims completed his hat-trick before Sam Pickersgill converted from the spot after being brought down and Pritchard finishing off a good Mavs move.

Unicorn ensured they stayed in the hunt with a 7-3 win over Richmond Buck.

After the midweek 5-1 win over Colburn in the Medals Shield, Richmond Town Reserves were held 3-3 by Carperby on Saturday, despite taking an early two-goal lead through Josh Wooff and Thomas Gilroy.

Carperby improved as the game progressed with Sam Lambert winning a penalty as he tried to power through the Academy defence.

The keeper saved from Paul Stephenson, but Ben Metcalfe reacted the quickest to slot home.

The second half started fairly evenly, but Town managed to give themselves breathing space when Wooff headed home.

With seven minutes left Lambert scored and soon after had another shot come off the post from a tight angle.

Fortunately for the Dales team substitute Luke Morland was following in and managed to finish well.

Elsewhere in the league, Catterick Garrison enjoyed a good 7-1 win away at Leyburn in a game played at Middleham.

Luke Wilkinson scored first for Leyburn from a free-kick, which was awarded despite protests from Catterick.

Four minutes later however Neil Wright curled a stunner into the top left corner from 25-yards from a free kick of his own.

Damian Hargreaves then put Catterick into the lead after being put through one-on one.

Catterick increased their lead soon into the second when Hargreaves got his second.

Further goals followed from sub Stephen Fleming, while Hargreaves for a second-half hat-trick to secure the points.



Carperby 3-3 Richmond Town Reserves

Colburn 0-7 Richmond Mavericks

Leyburn 1-7 Catterick Garrison

Spennithorne 5-0 Reeth

Unicorn 7-3 Richmond Buck

Medals Shield

Richmond Town Reserves 5-1 Colburn

Richmond Buck 5-4 Reeth


13.4.21 – League

Richmond Town Reserves v Catterick Garrison

17.4.21 – League

Carperby v Catterick Garrison

Leyburn v Richmond Town Reserves

Richmond Buck v Spennithorne

Unicorn v Hawes

North Riding Cup

Cleveland Seniors v Colburn

Richmond Mavericks v Marton Abbey