Top of the table teams win in Wensleydale League

The top four teams in the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League all finished the day with three more points on Saturday.

Carperby came through another tough test to get the win against Spennithorne.

The home side took the lead after 18 minutes when Tom Barley scored at the second time of asking when the ball broke back to him after Scott Partridge had parried his initial shot.

The first half was fairly scrappy, with both teams having good spells, with Michael Dent having a penalty turned down after skipping passed two defenders before being stopped, but the half ended 1-0 to the home team.

Carperby did get a penalty early in the second half when Aidan Simpson played the ball through for Sam Lambert, who was adjudged to be brought down by the outcoming Partridge.

Lambert picked himself up to slot the penalty into the bottom corner.

Spennithorne never gave up though and got back in the game when former Carperby player Steven Richards turned the ball home from a corner.

As the away team pushed for an equaliser, the home team got a few good chances on the break with Lambert going close on a few occasions, but it was Richard who did his former team a favour when he lobbed his own goal keeper from outside the area after getting caught in two minds when attempting to clear the ball.

Hawes continued their fine form with a comfortable 7-1 win away at Catterick Garrison.

Luke Wilkinson got Hawes off to a great start scoring after three minutes, before Macauley Acton made it two shortly afterwards when he scored with a rare header.

Acton then scored again a minute later with a back post finish.

It was 4-0 to Hawes before the break when Wilkinson grabbed his second of the game.

Acton got his hat-trick 15 20 minutes into the second half when he reacted first to a loose ball after the Catterick keeper parried a Wilkinson shot.

Kory Spink then made it 6-0 on 71 minutes thanks to a Dan Richardson pull back, before Acton scored another tap-in to make it seven.

Macauley Acton got his fourth on 81 minutes with a back post tap in

Catterick pulled a goal back on 82 minutes when Alex Boyle smashed in after receiving a chipped pass from Catterick debutant Ben Schofield.

Leyburn got back to winning win ways after the previous week’s defeat to Carperby with a comfortable 4-0 win over Richmond Town Academy.

Leyburn started on the front foot with Jack Close tapping in with just seconds on the clock.

Will Hewson scored from the spot with 20 minutes gone after Riley Girgan, who was a menace to the opposition defence all game, was brought down by the on-rushing keeper.

Close got his second after 35 minutes with a fine strike from distance.

Centre back Alfie Hall then scored his first goal for the club with a close range effort to make it four.

Elsewhere, league leaders Unicorn had too much for Reeth, coming away a 6-0 win.

Bailey Proudlock opened the scoring after stealing the ball high up the pitch and finishing well.

He then got his second just before the break when Handley pulled the ball back.

Unicorn stepped on the gas in the second half with Tom Sweeney netting soon after the restart when he connected with a Liam Reeves cross.

Reeves then scored the goal of the game, finishing a fine passing move involving Proudlock and Joe Lamb.

There was still time for Proudlock to complete his hat-trick and Luke Hamilton to also get on the scoresheet.


Carperby 3-1 Spennithorne

Catterick Garrison 1-7 Hawes

Leyburn 4-0 Richmond Town Academy

Reeth 0-6 Unicorn



Askrigg v Unicorn

Catterick Garrison v Leyburn

Hawes v Reeth

Spennithorne v Richmond Town