Top three teams win to keep race alive for Wensleydale League

Wins for all the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League title contenders on Saturday ensured it remains a three-horse race.

Unicorn’s game against Catterick Garrison was not the easiest on the eye, but last year’s league winners will care little about that.

Unicorn went one up on 20 minutes after soaking up some early Catterick pressure, a sweeping move from the Richmond team ending when Liam reeves’ shot found the back of the net via a deflection.

It was soon 2-0 when a Bailey Proudlock cross was flicked on by the returning Carl Handley for Tom Sweeney to finish at the back post.

The goal of the game then followed when Luke Hamilton volleyed in from 18 yards after a corner.

Neither team played their best in the second half with Reeves grabbing his second and extinguish any faint hopes of a Catterick fightback.

Carperby remained in the hunt for what would be their first league title in 20 years but were made to work hard for the points against a lively Leyburn.

Carperby got in front when their big striker Sam Lambert hounded the Leyburn defence to win the ball back, before finishing well from just inside the Leyburn area.

The game was extremely competitive with Leyburn never giving Carperby time on the ball, and the away team got level before half time, when Jack Crook fired a free-kick high into the net from 25 yards out.

The second half started with more good football, with Carperby improving on the ball, and Leyburn still having spells of their own, but the home team got back in front with another free kick, this time from Tim Weatherill which found the bottom corner from virtually the same place Crook had scored from.

Carperby then brought on Tom Barley who wasn’t fit enough to start the game, and after Sam Lambert was brought down in the area, Barley slotted the resulting penalty home to give Carperby some breathing space.

Lambert then got his second of the game with a well taken fourth for Carperby, who were relieved to get over the line against the ever-improving Leyburn team.

Hawes had a much easier afternoon, beating Reeth 13-0.

Ryan Alderson and Tom Calvert both bagged hat-tricks while Kory Spink got a brace. The other goals were scored by Luke Wilkinson, Brett Calvert, Jordan Iveson and Stephen Moffitt.

The game between the two bottom sides, Askrigg and Richmond Town Academy, finished 2-2.

Goals from Jack Samways and Harry Davies gave Town a 2-0 lead, but Askrigg fought back through Josh Hammond and Richard Sunter.

The Wensleydale team brought on veterans Jonathan Champion and John Hodgson in a bid to earn their first win of the season, but it was not to be, with the best chance falling to Richard Sunter who blasted over from close range.


Results – 17.2.24

Askrigg 2-2 Richmond Town Academy

Carperby 4-1 Leyburn

Catterick Garrison 0-4 Unicorn

Reeth 0-13 Hawes


Fixtures – 24.2.24

Carperby v Spennithorne

Hawes v Catterick Garrison

Leyburn v Richmond Town Academy

Reeth v Unicorn