Two people suffer smoke inhalation in Barton house fire

Two people suffered smoke inhalation in a house fire in Barton yesterday.

Firefighters from Leyburn, Richmond and Bedale were called to the blaze in the first floor bedroom of a property at about 7.30pm.

A 16-year-old boy and a 47-year-old man suffered slight smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital by road ambulance as a precaution.

A table lamp, curtains, adjacent wall and surrounding carpet suffered fire, heat and smoke damage.

An en-suite bathroom also suffered slight smoke damage.

Smoke detectors were fitted to the property and had activated.

Crews used two breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet, triple extension ladder, positive pressure ventilation fan, thermal imaging camera, first aid kit and oxygen therapy.

North Yorkshire Fire and rescue Service said the cause would be confirmed on completion of a fire investigation today.