Two Richmondshire teams reach North Riding Cup quarter finals

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Richmondshire will have two teams in the quarter finals of the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup.

This report is sponsored by:

Unicorn won their game against Lealholm 2-0, while Richmond Mavericks’ opposition was unable to field a team, meaning the Wensleydale Creamery League team got the win by default.

Only Carperby failed to progress after their cup run came to an end with a 5-0 loss at home to Scarborough and District League high-fliers Itis Itis Rovers.

In the league, Richmond Town Reserves went top with a 3-2 win away at Richmond Buck Inn.

Buck old boy Mark Swanwick came back to haunt his former team with a first half tap in from a Eddie Lewington square ball after Buck presented the ball to their opponents, trying to play out of defence.

Buck had worked hard in the first half to keep pace with their younger opponents with some good link up  play down the right hand side involving Michael Ingram and Marshal Thorogood creating a couple of half chances.

Town led 0-1 at half time.

There were more goals in the second half but quality was hard to detect on a sticky pitch with two teams slugging it out for superiority.

Town found it when a long Sean Thompson throw was deflected to the back post where Eddie Lewington nodded in from a couple of yards to make it 0-2.

Buck looked beat after Andy D’Arcy got the ball stuck under his feet when he was last man and presented possession to Matthew Leaf.

Leaf laid the ball off to Nathan Simpson to score for 0-3.

However, a late surge from the Buck brought the goal of the game when Jacob Tate lofted a lovely threw ball to Josh Wooff up front, whose run and finish left Town keeper Steve Walker no chance for 1-3.

A scrappy build-up but powerful finish minutes later from super sub Matty Raw made it 2-3 and saw a frenetic final few minutes but Town held on for the three points to send them top.

Elsewhere in the league, Spennithorne started the brighter in their game against Hawes, taking the lead in the 12th minute.

Hawes pulled it back to 1-1 in the 31st minute with a well-taken goal by Tommy Calvert.

Tommy got his second just before half-time with a cool finish.

The second half was tight until Matt Guy put Hawes 3-1 up in the 72nd minute with a bullet header at the back post.

Spenni came back fighting and pulled it back to 3-2 in the 80th minute, but Hawes held on for the win.

Colburn went second with a 6-1 win at home to Reeth.

Craig Teasdale put Colburn ahead only for Josh Hammond to quickly equalise.

Shane Parkinson then put the home team ahead before half-time.

Colburn took control in the second half with goals from Chris Hope, Daniel Deeney and Josh Crisp, and another from Parkinson.


North Riding Cup

Carperby 0-5 Itis Itis Rovers

Unicorn 2-0 Lealholm


Colburn 6-1 Reeth

Hawes 3-2 Spennithorne

Richmond Buck 2-3 Richmond Town Reserves

Fixtures – all league

Catterick Garrison v Richmond Buck

Hawes v Reeth

Leyburn v Unicorn

Richmond Mavericks v Colburn

Spennithorne v Richmond Town Reserves