Unicorn beat Carperby to clinch Champions Cup as Hawes and Catterick win in league

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Unicorn added the Champions Cup to their silverware cabinet on Saturday with a hard-fought victory over Carperby.

The contest, which saw the previous season’s league winners take on the Dales Cup holders, was played at Harmby.

Unicorn went in front when the ever dangerous Liam Reeves cut in from the right to fire home.

Carperby got level after a good passing move which saw youngster Aidan Simpson pulling the ball back for Sam Lambert to sweep home.

Unicorn got back in front when a corner was punched clear by Carperby keeper John Pickard but Tom Sweeney expertly controlled and volleyed home from the edge of the area.

Unicorn got a third just before half-time when Reeves again got in behind the Carperby defence and finished well.

Unicorn looked in control when Stuart Murray headed home a good cross early in the second half.

However, Carperby kept playing good football and were rewarded when Michael Dent got the goal his performance deserved when he fired home from 25 yards.

Carperby continued to press and Luke Dent ensured a tense finish to the game when he fired a superb shot into the top corner from outside the area to get his first goal for Carperby.

With Unicorn desperate for the full-time whistle, Carperby got a free-kick out on the left in stoppage time, which resulted in Paul Stephenson’s in swinging cross been flicked on by Andrew Reynolds. but the ball brushed the post and went agonisingly wide to ensue Unicorn held on.

In the league, Catterick Garrison maintained their winning start to the season with a 2-1 victory away at Richmond Town Reserves.

The deadlock was broken towards the end of the first-half when Harry Beresford tapped home from close range for Town. The goal was allowed to stand despite Catterick’s protestations that it was offside.

Catterick were level however moments later when keeper Scott Leeming volley forward for Tim Holland to collect and clip over the onrushing Town keeper, Bruno Frankland.

Garrison took the lead on the hour when Tim Holland found space on the left and hot cross to the back post, where Josh Pettler took the ball down and finished calmly.

Catterick thought they should have had a penalty for handball but the referee said it hit the player’s shoulder.

Both teams had chances in the final minutes, with the keeper’s at both ends doing well and earning their man of the match nominations.

Elsewhere, Hawes also kept up their 100 per cent record at home to Spennithorne.

First-half goals from Brandon Acton, Tom Calvert and Ben Fawcett did the damage for the upper Dales team.

Kalem Stanger scored a penalty for Spenni in the second-half but it failed to prompt a fight back.

In the remaining game, bottom sides Reeth and Askrigg played out an incident-packed 2-2 draw.

Kris Barker scored from the spot to give Reeth an early lead after a foul by Scott Berry.

A goal after the break by veteran midfielder John Hodgson levelled the game.

But another penalty given away by Askrigg keeper Miles Middleton and again scored by Barker gave the Swaledale team a narrow lead as the clock ticked down.

Alan Middleton scored a late equalised and a foul in the final seconds on Jonathan Champion gave Askrigg a chance to take all three points.

However, Scott Greenway’s weak shot was easily saved by the Reeth keeper.



Askrigg 2-2 Reeth

Hawes 3-1 Spennithorne

Richmond Town Reserves 1-2 Catterick Garrison

Champions Cup

Carperby 3-4 Unicorn


Fixtures – 15.10.22


Carperby v Hawes

Richmond Town Reserves v Richmond Mavericks

Spennithorne v Unicorn

Medals Shield

Catterick Garrison v Askrigg