Unicorn beat Carperby to lift Medals Shield

Photo: Unicorn FC.

The first silverware of the season was lifted by Unicorn FC after they beat Carperby 2-0 in a game played last night at Northallerton’s Calverts Stadium.

Unicorn did what they do best and got over the line on a night where both sets of players gave absolutely everything for their team.

Unicorn started fast but Carperby soaked up the early pressure with no huge chances conceded.

The first half was fairly even, and it ended 0-0 at halftime.

Carperby played the best football of the game for the first 20 minutes of the second half but the experienced defence of Unicorn limited them to only a few half chances, and those were kept out by the excellent Mutch in goal, and when did get the ball on the back of the net, the offside flag ruled it out.

The big chance came when Sam Lambert battled to keep the ball in then was adjudged to have been brought down in the area, although Unicorn felt it was harshly awarded.

The ever impressive Tom Barley stepped up to take the spot kick, however, Mutch saved superbly from the penalty, then made an even better save on the follow up.

Unicorn had the ball in the net through Liam Reeves but the goal was ruled out for handball as he slid in at the back post.

In a game where both teams put in some incredible tackles, Carperby’s biggest warrior Andrew Reynolds missed timed one on the half way line to get his second yellow after he had earlier scythed down Reeves in the first half, which reduced the Rovers to ten men.

Both teams continued to battle with Unicorn putting pressure on at the end with a string of corners, but it ended 0-0.

Extra time saw the pitch getting a mud bath after some heavy rain in the second half, and it continued to be a great battle by two excellent teams, and the deadlock was finally broken on the verge of half time in extra time, when Nigel Cole swept home after a one-two between Carl Handley and substitute Ryan Crowther.

Carperby continued to bravely try and get level, but at the death Unicorn broke away through Ethan Brown and sealed the victory through Ketley, who finished at the back post.