Unicorn close in on title after win over Catterick Garrison

Unicorn are closing in on a consecutive Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League title after beating rivals Catterick Garrison in a highly competitive game.

After opening exchanges when the defences were on top, deadlock was broken when a Bailey Proudlock cross went in off the post.

Unicorn started the second half on top, forcing a couple of freekicks from distance, but not calling Mark Birnie into action in the Garrison goal.

It remained a tight and entertaining affair, albeit with neither side creating clear0cut chances.

As the game ticked into the last 20 minutes Catterick Josh Pettler collected a ball in the right channel before twisting and turning and clipping a  left footed chip over David Mutch in the Unicorn goal.

It looked destined for the far corner, but a superb headed clearance from James Moohan on the line kept his side’s lead.

Catterick pushed but couldn’t maintain their record of scoring in every game this season.

There was some consolation for Catterick on Wednesday night when they beat Reeth 9-1, with Jake Oakes grabbing four goals and Damian Hargreaves helping himself to a brace.

James Smith scored for Reeth.
Elsewhere, Carperby ran out comfortable 7-0 winners against Spennithorne despite the game coming in the middle of a Blackpool AGM weekend for many of their players, who returned from the seaside to play the game and then went back after the final whistle.

Michael Dent gave the home side the lead after Scott Lambert’s corner fell to him to scissor volley the ball home.

Matty Bradley made it two when he converted from another Lambert corner half way through the first half.

Bradley then turned provider to set up Sam Lambert to make it three before half-time.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first with Billy Rice finishing superbly when Sam Lambert challenged the keeper and the ball dropped for Rice to lob home from 30 yards.

Micheal Dent then got his second with a smart left foot finish from Sam Lambert’s pass, before Lambert got his second after a good pass from Paul Stephenson.

Manager Paul Dinsdale then brought himself on for his first appearance of the season much to the delight of the home crowd, and Dinsdale did not disappoint, getting the seventh goal after doing keepy uppies in the middle of the pitch before a volleyed pass out to Scott Lambert, who played it through to Michael Dent.

He beat two players before pulling back to the oncoming Dinsdale to fire home.

Richmond Town Reserves may still be able to catch Unicorn although will need to beat the leaders themselves and cash in a favour from Richmond Mavericks, who play the Newbiggin team on Saturday.

Town, who are finishing the season strongly, were too good for Hawes on Saturday.

Harry Beresford got a hat-trick in the 8-2 win, with Tom Gilroy netting twice.


League results


Reeth 1-9 Catterick Garrison


Carperby 7-0 Spennithorne

Richmond Town Reserves 8-2 Hawes

Unicorn 1-0 Catterick Garrison



Hawes v Carperby

Richmond Town Reserves v Reeth


Spennithorne v Richmond Town Reserves

Richmond Mavericks v Unicorn