Unicorn go top with win at Leyburn

With Richmond Mavericks on North Riding Cup duty Unicorn took the opportunity to go top of the table with a 2-0 win against an in-form Leyburn.

This report is sponsored by:

Unicorn were instantly in the ascendancy, with manager Anderson’s request for a Mike Bassett-esque 4-4-2 formation ringing in their ears; and the deadlock was broken on 23 minutes, when a free-kick was floated perfectly into Liam Reeves path by man of the match Unicorn left back Paul Brown.

Davison rushed from his line and then hesitated, but Reeves didn’t as he expertly lofted the ball over the keepers head into the far corner.

There were a few grumbles from the Leyburn fans due to the nature of the free-kick being awarded in the first place, following Kalem Stanger being judged narrowly offside.

Six minutes later Unicorn thought they had doubled their lead when Brad Galloway slid in at the back post to bundle in a Chris Duckett cross, but the flag was up and the goal was disallowed.

Unicorn continued to apply the pressure but the second elusive goal wouldn’t come. Half time 1-0.

The second half continued much the same with Unicorn applying more pressure. McGuinness and Atkinson were making things look easy in the centre of the park, both creating a number of chances with some decent through balls.

Following a succession of corners Liam Reeves picked the ball up wide right and curled a sumptuous effort onto Davison’s far post.

Moments later there were cries for a Unicorn penalty with some appealing more than others. Dave Hickin, with his fresh, bendy legs burst into the box and looked to have his standing leg taken. The ref blew his whistle and Leyburn hearts were in their mouths, but a freekick was given to Leyburn.

Further chances came and went and the claggy pitch seemed to be making things a struggle for both teams.

Leyburn were applying some late pressure, but the back line of Marshall, Swainston, Gray and Brown were well drilled and kept them at bay.

With only five minutes on the clock, Unicorn grabbed their second goal. Paul Brown turned provider once more, this time with a cross field ball to off-field foe Tom Keegan.

Keegan’s first touch was impeccable considering his career ending knee injury pre-season. He jockeyed his man to calls of ‘you’re going nowhere’, but Keegan dropped the hammer and finished with a rising, powerful drive across the keeper – a finish that Chris Duckett, whom he had replaced, could only dream of.

Colburn’s manager, Hammy, tinkered with his line-up for their clash with Catterick Garrison.

He decided to go with three at the back, packing five across midfield, and bringing Callum Sheridan in to partner Stuart Murray upfront, replacing injured top-scorer Tom Sweeney.

The weather was unappetizing, rain/sleet sweeping across the Jaffa, but Colburn were quick off the blocks, and roared into a two-goal lead within ten minutes.

Only two minutes had passed, when the ball was shuffled across from right to left, finding Sheridan on the left of the area.

His measured cross was headed home by an unmarked former Catterick player Rory Wallace, who had covered plenty of ground to get there.

Then seven minutes later, Sheridan played a pass to another ex-CGFC man Craig Teasdale over on the left wing.

Teasdale looked up and sent a looping cross/shot goalwards. It dropped over Files in Catterick’s goal to double Colburn’s lead.

Credit to Catterick at this point – they could have folded under this onslaught, but found greater resolve in defence and slowly forced themselves onto the front foot.

A combination of this wake up call and frustration with a few refereeing decisions going against them, CGFC were fired into action.

Daniel Deeney and Jenks Wright linking up well regularly and their one twos were carving their way behind full back James McCormack.

However neither Luke Hamilton or Nige Cole seemed to get in the right place to thwart any promise from being realised.

Deeney’s duel with former teammate Dean McCormack down the right was proving entertaining.

Jez Mortimer was unlucky to see his 30 yard pile-driver cannon off the crossbar of Tim Bishop’s goal.

The veteran stopper was helpless as he watched it comeback out almost to halfway due to the venom in the strike.

CGFC weren’t to be denied though and when Gavin Rose Rudd released Deeney on the Catterick right.

He had the composure to round Bishop and the last defender before curling a left footed shot in from a tight-ish angle into the unguarded net.

Catterick were 2-1 down at half-time but were playing well and were confident of getting something from the game. A great game and second half was being anticipated by all in attendance.

The first ten minutes of the 2nd half were fairly even, with both sides searching for the next goal.

CGFC’s Jenks was booked for dissent, and this proved in many ways to be the turning point of the game.

After 55 minutes, Catterick were left reeling when a ball was played forward to Ashley McInerney, who surged into the area alongside defender Jonathan Holmes who matched him stride for stride.

As the ball bounced into the box, Holmes edged in front and as McInerney challenged him Holmes went flying as the ball trickled out.

The whistle went and the majority in attendance assumed a free kick Catterick’s way, but both sets of players and supporters were surprised when referee Mark Ullyott pointed to the spot.

Sheridan kept his cool and dispatched the penalty with his trusty left foot.

When Jenks’ challenge on McInerney on the halfway line was rewarded with his second yellow card that seemed to, understandably, knock the stuffing out of Catterick.

Colburn played the ball around at leisure for the rest of the game, enjoying the space that was now available.

Connor Weatherbed came on for Teasdale and almost immediately, Colburn found another goal.

Murray received the ball on the edge of the box, but his progress was halted by Files and a second penalty was awarded.

Up stepped Sheridan again with the same result as the first time.

A good stint for the stand-in striker – two goals and two assists.

Young Charlie Piechniczek came on for the final ten minutes, replacing Wallace down the left, and the game drifted to its conclusion.

A resounding win for Colburn, and a good response to last week’s defeat to Leyburn. although Catterick feel the questionable penalty decision spoilt what had been a good full-bloodied derby game.

Matt Guy scored a hat trick for a second week in a row to give Hawes an uplifting victory against Richmond Academy.

Academy spent most of the game without the ball and in their own half, but in the first half they brought an impressive reflex save from Hawes keeper Jonny Guy, and in the second half missed a penalty.

The match was played at Askrigg after Hawes’ pitch was declared nearly there but not quite.

Hawes United passed the ball nicely throughout the match, moving it across the lines and going long when needed.

One such long ball – a sweeping Brett Calvert diagonal – found Jonathon Champion wide left in the box. He cut in and shot an inch wide from close range.

Minutes later Duracell bunny Tommy Calvert bounced down the left hand side with the ball stuck to his toe – and squared it to Steve Calvert who missed a sitter.

It was left to Matt Guy to open the scoring.  He received the ball on the edge of the area, then turned, ran, clunked into the keeper, and came up with with the ball for a tap in.

Guy was once again superb – holding the ball up well – and he banged in another with his left foot, following sustained pressure from Hawes.

The match went down a gear in the second half, with Hawes three up.  Guy scored again after Champ was found with another cross field ball – this time from Tom Wallis.

Champ was on the right side now. He galloped to the byline and blasted a low and accurate cross right to the feet of Matt Guy, who finished from four yards out.

The performance was decent enough to give the three gaffers a selection dilemma, with two good men back next week after spending today at the races.

But a selection headache can be no bad thing when the fixture is a tough away match against Richmond Buck Inn.

Elsewhere, Spennithorne enjoyed a good 4-1 win over Reeth with Chris Metcalfe claiming a hat-trick.

Buck put eight passed Carperby without reply. Danny Allen got four of the Richmond team’s goals.

A 5-1 loss to Thirsk Falcons put Richmond Mavericks out of the North Riding Cup.



Carperby Rovers 0 – 8 Richmond Buck Inn

Colburn Town 4 – 1 Catterick Garrison Football Centre

Hawes United 4 – 0 Richmond Town Academy

Spennithorne & Harmby 4 – 1 Reeth & District Athletic Club

Thirsk Falcons Firsts 5 – 1 Richmond Mavericks Fixture

Unicorn FC 2 – 0 Leyburn Town


Fixtures – 10.2.18

Carperby Rovers v Spennithorne & Harmby

Catterick Garrison Football Centre v Richmond Mavericks

Leyburn Town v Richmond Town Academy

Reeth & District Athletic Club v Colburn Town

Richmond Buck Inn v Hawes United