Unicorn make it four wins out of four while Catterick Garrison keep up chase

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Unicorn made it four wins out of four in the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League on Saturday to consolidate their position at the top of the table.

A strong first half in their game against Spennithorne from last season’s league winners meant the Richmond team went in 4-0 up at the break.

Two goals from Joe Lamb and one from Bailey Proudlock and Liam Reeves did the damage, with Reeves and Gus Glass netting in the second half to secure the points.

Hugo Thompson-Brown and Sam Lane both netted for Spenni but they proved to be nothing more than consolation goals.

Catterick Garrison maintained second with a good 6-2 win over Carperby.

The Dales side took the lead against the run of play when Michael Dent closed down the keeper and the ball ricocheted off him into the net. Catterick got back level then got in front after Carperby conceded a penalty. They then got a 3rd and 4th before half time. Carperby started the second half a lot better and had more of the ball for a 15 minute spell, and deservedly looked like they might be back in it when Matty Bradley made a great burst forward from midfield before crossing for Sam Lambert to head home. Catterick made sure of the 3 points shortly afterwards before sealing it with a 6th goal.

Alex Boyle found the corner to level, before Catterick’s Jonny Holmes scored from the spot after Boyle had been dragged down in the area.

Boyle then made it 3-1 when he slid the ball past the keeper after a race with Carperby’s last defender.

Jez Mortimer then fired in a free-kick from the edge of the area after the Carperby wall failed to stand firm.

Sam Lambert headed home for Carperby to reduce the deficit but further goals from Connor Dagnall and Charlie Tomlinson secured the points for Catterick.

Leyburn got their first points of the season with a 7-2 win over Reeth.

Jack Crook smashed home after just two minutes for Leyburn before Jack Close grabbed a second shortly afterwards.

Close then went from hero to zero when the ref judged that he had fouled his man in the box.

Scott Leeming made no mistake from the spot for Reeth.

Leyburn soon maintained their three-goal cushion with a goal of the season contender when Will Hewson’s rabona cross from the left wing was headed in by Maciej Nuprejczyk.

In the second half, Hewson grabbed two goals of his own while James Wise also netted.

In the dying minutes, Reeth pulled a goal back when James Newsome slotted home, despite Leyburn keeper Jack Davison coming out to close him down.

In the day’s other games, Hawes beat Richmond Town Academy 8-1, with Ben Fawcett grabbing a hat-trick and Tom Calvert getting two.




Catterick Garrison 6-2 Carperby

Hawes 8-1 Richmond Town

Leyburn 7-2 Reeth

Unicorn 6-2 Spennithorne



Askrigg v Leyburn

Catterick Garrison v Hawes

Richmond Town Academy v Carperby

Unicorn v Reeth