Unicorn on brink of title despite derby defeat

Unicorn are on the brink of sealing bank to back titles despite a derby defeat to Richmond Town Reserves this week.

The Newbiggin team need just one win from their remaining two games, which are both against Spennithorne.

For the time being though it’s Richmond Town Reserves which sit at the top of the table after they beat their local rivals 2-0 on Wednesday night.

A Mark Sims penalty and a late goal from Harry Needham were enough to give Town the points.

Unicorn’s Tom Keegan had earlier missed from the spot.

Town could have made things more difficult for Unicorn were they not held to a 1-1 draw at home to Carperby on Saturday.

It was a very competitive game at the Dave Clarke Arena, with the away team on top in the early exchanges.

They got in front when the impressive Michael Dent turned two players in the middle of the pitch before driving forwards and hitting a stunning shot in off the post from 25 yards out.

Carperby continued to keep the ball well for much of the first half, but the home side also had some half chances.

The second half was another competitive affair, with the Richmond team probably having more chances, but Carperby had the with more clear-cut opportunities.

The home side got an equaliser when Edward Lewington, making his first start of the season, skipped past the Carperby full back before crossing for Mark Sims to volley home at the back post.

Both teams continued to look for the winner, but a draw was a fair result.

Catterick Garrison’s league challenge is over but with a Dales Cup final still to play they would have been pleased to keep the momentum goin with a 6-2 win away at Hawes.

The visitors were ahead after just three minutes when Josh Pettler stabbed home after a flowing Catterick move, but Hawes equalised almost immediately through Macaulay Acton.

Catterick went back ahead when Damian Hargreaves won the ball back and played in Tim Holland in the left channel. He stood his man up, shifted it on to his left and drove a low shot across the keeper into the corner.

Three minutes later Pettler collecting a loose pass before driving a stunner into the bottom right from the best part of 35 yards.

Catterick’s top scorer Jake Oakes only arrived at half-time due to work commitments but had scored two goals minutes after coming on.

Moments after finishing a Hargreaves cutback, the forward scored from close range after the Hawes keeper had made a great save of a rocket hit by Neil Wright.

Hawes’s Brett Calvert scored a memorable long range effort to reduce the deficit, only for Pettler to restore the four-goal cushion five minutes later when he was put through by the returning Jez Mortimer.

In the other game on Saturday, Spennithorne had a comfortable 9-3 win over Reeth.

Kalem Stanger got a hat-trick, while Jack Crook and Maciej Nuprejczyk both bagging a brace. Spenni’s other goals were scored by Andrew Thwaite and Sam Lane, with Nicholas Bisicker, Steven Bainbridge and Andrew Taylor netting for Reeth.

Results – all league


Hawes 2-6 Catterick Garrison

Reeth 3-9 Spennithorne and Harmby

Richmond Town Reserves 1-1 Carperby


Richmond Town Reserves 2-0 Unicorn

Fixtures – all league unless stated


Carperby v Reeth

Catterick Garrison V Hawes


Unicorn v Spennithorne


Richmond Town Reserves v Catterick Garrison – Dales Cup final to be played at Carperby