Unicorn put ten past Leyburn while Richmond Mavericks maintain 100% record

With around half the games played in the Wensleydale Creamery League, the race for the title looks to be between two teams – Unicorn and Richmond Mavericks.

The current league leaders Unicorn travelled to Leyburn looking for revenge following the recent 2-1 home defeat.

The visitors started the brightest and on nine minutes Mathew Bateson, playing centre forward for the first time this season, pounced on a Keegan corner, hammering home at the second attempt.

Reeves made it two moments later as Bateson bottled the shot and opted to slip Reeves in.

Keegan, who is in scintillating form at present then stepped up and pinged a 30-yard freekick top bins, after Reeves has been shoved in the back.

Ten minutes later Keegan then turned provider, floating in a delightful cross, for Handley to power home with his header, finally ending his two-year goal drought.

On 41 minutes Luke Dent nabbed his first goal of the afternoon; Reeves zipped a spectacular through ball to Crowther, who in turn out one on a plate for Dent to tap in from close range.

5-0 up, with more than half of the game left play and things were looking good.

However the scoreline and total dominance by the purple headed warriors seemed to ruffle Leyburn feathers, with a few hefty tackles beginning to fly in.

On 41 minutes Rory Atkinson was on the end of a two-footed challenge which left the Unicorn man writhing in agony on the deck. Atkinson was withdrawn and straight off to A&E with suspected ACL damage. Lee Davison saw red for the challenge.

The second half began how the first ended, Unicorn dominance. By 60 minutes it was eight, Dent with the first, followed by two identical Reeves goals, cutting in from the right and finishing well.

Dent completed his first career hat-trick on 78 minutes as he raced onto a text book Paul ‘barry longball’ Brown punt, and rounded the keeper.

Crowther completed the scoring on 85, cutting in from the right before curling an audacious shot into the top corner.

James Stanger and Stephen Moffit scored Leyburn’s consolation goals.

Richmond Town Academy travelled to Richmond Buck in  a reverse of last week’s fixture.

Academy manager Paul Ramsay opted to not use the handful of first teamers after last weeks accusations from the opposition and came away with exactly the same scoreline and what the Academy believe was a more convincing performance all round.

Academy threatened throughout the first half with lots of good running in behind the Buck defence but found themselves a goal down on 33 minutes when Brandon Gredziak gave away a penalty which was dispatched by Josh Woof.

The lead only lasted five minutes as Ryan Hart played a lovely reverse pass over the top and Eddie Lewington lobbed the keeper.

Academy started the brighter in the second half but once again found themselves behind when Danny Allen beat stand in goalkeeper Tyler Spence from 25 yards.

Once again they were level within five minutes as Wayne Gredziak hit a volley from 20 yards which came down off the bar for Donoghue to knock home from on the line.

Academy searched for a winner and it came in the last minute, Gredziak senior beating the offside trap and with just the keeper to beat, squared for Lewington to get his second of the game.

Hawes got off to a flying start when Colburn’s revamped back four tried to pass the ball along the line in their game played at Askrigg.

The defenders were far too ponderous and the Hawes striker nipped in to dispossess Luke Hamilton, and strike the ball past stand in keeper, JJ Elliott.

It didn’t take Colburn long to strike back though. First it was a shot from Chris Symmonds which flew over, but then on ten minutes, Colburn’s twin strike force combined to produce an equaliser; Stuart Murray laying it up for Luke McCormack to slot home.

Colburn continued to press. A Murray header hit the post, then McCormack shot narrowly wide. Then after 29 minutes, a great through-ball from Shane Parkinson found McCormack, who in turn passed it on to Murray to claim Colburn’s second.

Five minutes later it was 3-1 when McCormack rose at the far post to redirect Ashley McInerney’s corner back across the keeper into the goal.

Five minutes later  McInerney passed to McCormack, who squared the ball for Murray to finish.

The second half began with Colburn sitting further back, encouraging Hawes to come onto them.

A risky strategy which led to Hawes reducing their deficit through Tom Wallis after 66 minutes.

But Colburn came straight back, and after 70 minutes Symmonds produced a cross/shot from the left touchline which dropped over the keeper into the top corner.

Richmond Maverick are still to drop a point – a record which never looked in  doubt when Carperby visited.

James Kelly got three and Andrew Pritchard two in the 7-1 victory. John Pickard got the visitors’ goal.

In the league’s final game, Catterick Garrison beat Spennithorne and Harmby 4-2.

Damian Hargreaves got a couple for Catterick, while Liam Walker and Adam Milton also got on the scoresheet.


Catterick Garrison 4-2 Spennithorne and Harmby

Hawes 2-5 Colburn

Richmond Buck Inn 2-3 Richmond Town Academy

Richmond Mavericks 7-1 Carperby

Unicorn 10-2 Leyburn


Carperby v Richmond Buck Inn

Catterick Garrison v Richmond Town Academy

Colburn v Leyburn

Reeth v Richmond Mavericks

Spennithorne v Hawes