Unicorn retain league title with win over nine-man Reeth

Unicorn retained the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League title on Saturday with a 15-goal demolition of Reeth.

The Richmond team needed just a draw against the bottom side, which had not previously claimed a point this season.

The Dales side were not helped by being able to field just nine men and the goals started flooding in from as early as the third minute.

Unicorn striker Liam Reeves helped himself to seven goals, while Stuart Murray got four.

Carl Handley, Nigel Cole, Tom Sweeney and even keeper David Mutch got on the scoresheet.

Elsewhere it was Dales Cup semi-final day.

Catterick Garrison and Carperby played out a dramatic game which was eventually won by the Wensleydale team on penalties.

The first half ended 0-0, with both sides having good spells of play.

Carperby did get the ball in the back of the net but Scott Alderson’s header was ruled out for offside.

The Wensleydale team took the lead in the second half when Sam Lambert despatched a penalty into the roof of the net.

Catterick equalised after Carperby failed to clear and the ball fell for a tap-in.

Carperby thought they had got back in front when Scott Lambert slotted home, but after some confusion the referee gave Catterick a free kick.

The garrison team then took the lead when a cross come shot from the left ended up in the top corner.

Carperby kept going though, and Sam Lambert powered the ball home for 2-2 late in the game.

Carperby then went close to winning it when first Paul Stephenson’s drive from the edge of the area was saved superbly by the Catterick keeper.

Extra time was a cagey affair with both teams tiring meaning the game went to penalties.

Both teams scored all their first five but Catterick missed their sixth, before Ben Metcalfe finished smartly to send Carperby into the final.

In the other semi-final, Richmond Mavericks beat local rivals Richmond Town Reserves 2-1.

Two goals from Andrew Pritchard did the damage for Mavs, with Edward Lewington netting for Town.

The final will be played at Harmby at 2pm on Saturday, May 7.