Unicorn stay top after win over Reeth

Richmond Town Academy in their new kit supplied by the Talbot Hotel in Richmond.

Unexpected pacesetters Unicorn remain top of the league after taking advantage of their rivals having games in the North Riding Cup.

Unicorn were up against Reeth for the second week in a row, this time winning 6-1.

The visitors went a goal up after three minutes, but Ben Metcalfe levelled for Reeth, with a superb low drive inside the left post two minutes later.

Unicorn took the lead in the 21st minute, finding space down the wing, before crossing to the middle for an unchallenged shot.

They added a couple more goals before the break, with Reeth not sharp enough in midfield or defence.

There were fewer goals in the second half, as the game evened out a little, but two strikes on 72 and 80 minutes, assured the visitors of an easy win.

The only other league game, between Spennithorne and Harmby and Catterick Garrison, was abandoned after Catterick’s Stephen Fleming suffered a badly broken leg during  a 50:50 challenge.

There were mixed fortunes for Wensleydale League teams in the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup.

Richmond Mavericks had a good 3-1 win against Stokesley Sports Club Reserves to progress to the next round.

Nathan O’Connor scored Mavs’ first after bombing down the right wing, skipping past there full back one of whom brought him down just outside the box. After picking himself up O’Connor swung the ball into top corner with his left foot.

James Kelly got the second after the keeper saved from Pritchard, who then scored Mavs’ third.

Richmond Academy hosted Whitby Fishermen of the North Riding second division hoping to cause an upset.

Any thoughts of a surprise win suffered a setback on 11 minutes when the seasiders took the lead.

The general play was fairly even for the first 60 minutes but Whitby had obvious quality in the middle of the park and scored four crackers from long range that gave the keeper no chance.

Gredziak pulled one back form the penalty spot but the final score finished 8-1.

Richmond Buck gave a spirited performance against 2016 winners Scarborough West Pier, who currently sit 4th in Scarborough and District League

Second half goals from David Addison and Josh Wooff made it 2-2 at the end of normal time.

The outcome was then decided by a penalty shoot out.

Buck couldn’t keep their nerve and were left disappointed, losing 4-2 from the spot kicks, but can hold their heads up high in the way they went toe toe with a higher level team.

Elsewhere, Colburn had a walkover win against Walnut Tree FC, while Carperby unfortunate to be on the wrong end of a 6-5 cracker against Crayke United, while Leyburn lost 3-0 at Edgehill.



Reeth and District 1-6 Unicorn

Spennithorne and Harmby A-A Catterick Garrison Football Centre

North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup

Edgehill 3-0 Leyburn Town

Crayke United 6-5 Carperby Rovers

Richmond Mavericks 3-1 Stokesley Sports Club Reserves

Richmond Academy 1-8 Whitby Fisherman

West Pier 2-2 Richmond Buck Inn (West Pier win 4-2 on penalties)

Colburn Town W-L Walnut Tree FC


Carperby Rovers v Spennithorne and Harmby

Catterick Garrison v Hawes

Leyburn Town v Richmond Buck

Reeth and District v Colburn

Richmond Mavericks v Unicorn