Unicorn win again while Leyburn, Carperby and Hawes all secure 3pts

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Unicorn’s early dominance of the Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League continued on Saturday with the Richmond team winning their fifth game in a row.

Stephen Butterworth showed his quality with five goals in the first half.

Brandon Bishop and Bailey Proudlock also netted before the break, with James Dunwoody scoring for the visitors.

Poor finishing in the second half meant the Richmond team did not add to their tally, while Liam Stacey pulled a goal back for Reeth.

Elsewhere, Leyburn recorded back to back wins but were made to work hard for the points away at Askrigg.

Young centre back Kieran Hawes netted for the visitors after five minutes but another teenager, Ben Alderson, bustled his way through the Leyburn backline to equalise after Jack Dalton saw a freekick go close.

After the break, Leyburn began to take control with George Catterall netting for his new club, before Will Hewson grabbed a brace including a penalty given away by Askrigg keeper Matt Kettlewell.

Richmond Town Academy were well beaten by visitors Carperby.

Sam Lambert secured the lead for the Wensleydale side after seven minutes when he took Drew Reynolds’ through ball in his stride before beating the defender and finishing well.

Despite Carperby having most of the play in the first half, they didn’t get their second until just before half-time, with Luke Dent finishing off the post after a high-quality ball from Michael Dent.

Town started the second half brighter but Carperby killed the game just after the hour mark when Matty Bradley played in Scott Lambert who fired home from just inside the area.

Bradley then got the fourth after good work from Tom Barley to set up his midfield partner.

Sam Lambert then got his second after Michael Dent sent him through with a precise pass.

Barley got on the score sheet after winning the ball back and beating three players before finishing well. The seventh and final goal secured Sam Lambert’s hat-trick , and also completed a hat-trick of assists for Michael Dent, with the playmaker getting on Tom Barley’s through ball to play it back for Lambert to score from close range.

It’s not even October and Hawes have already beaten Catterick Garrison twice in the league.

Catterick took the lead in their game on Saturday through Damian Hargreaves, with Ben Fawcett heading in an equaliser from a corner before the break.

A good strike from Dan Richardson soon after the restart gave Hawes the lead, although Catterick drew level shortly afterwards when Charlie Tomlinson netted soon after coming on the pitch.

Jordan Iveson put Hawes back in front in the 66th minute and Hawes went 4-2 up a minute later with Ben Fawcett’s second of the game.

A Tom Wallis tap-in made it 5-2 before Robert McLurg pulled one back.

There was no come-back for Catterick however with Richardson scoring late on from the spot to seal the win.


Results – 23.9.23

Askrigg 1-4 Leyburn

Catterick Garrison 3-6 Hawes

Richmond Town Academy 0-7 Carperby

Unicorn 7-2 Reeth


Fixtures – 30.09.23

Carperby v Spennithorne

Hawes v Askrigg

Reeth v Catterick

Richmond Town Academy v Unicorn