Unicorn win Newbiggin derby while Mavs beat Leyburn to stay top

Photo: James Coverdale/Flickr

Last week’s rain failed to spoil Saturday’s Wensleydale Creamery League schedule with four out of the five games going ahead.

In the Newbiggin derby, Unicorn triumphed 2-1 against Richmond Buck.

Unicorn took the lead on 15 minutes through some good wing play down the Buck right and a cut back found Liam Reeves who accurately beat Karl Latchman in the Buck goal.

Buck equalised ten minutes later when David Addison flicked the ball through to Micheal Ingram who dinked the ball over an advancing David Mutch and into the corner.

The Unicorn left winger again caused Buck problems as he went around his marker and was upended by Marshal Thorogood on the cover.

Reeves converted the resultant penalty into the top corner.

Michael Ingram had the Buck’s best attempt to equalise before half time with a wonderful dipping volley from 20 yards, superbly tipped over by Mutch.

The second half was competitive but lacked serious quality, with neither keeper being fully stretched and the late stages saw the Unicorn hanging on for the win by taking the ball to the corner flags on a number of occasions.

Richmond Mavericks beat Leyburn 5-3, who were the only other unbeaten team at the start of the day.

Reuben Bainbridge got a couple for Mavs, while James and Owen kelly got a goal a piece and Daniel Johnson also getting on the score sheet.

Colburn brushed aside Reeth 8-0, with the Swaledale team’s keeper Jimmy Newton winning plaudits for keeping the score down to single figures.

After missing a host of early chances, Colburn settled the nerves when Craig Teasdale scored from a free-kick after half an hour.

Colburn soon doubled their lead when Rory Wallace crossed from the right for Brandon Bishop to strike home.

Teasdale scored from another free-kick after the break. Either side of the hour mark, Colburn produced two more goals, firstly via a close range header by Bishop from a Sweeney free kick, then from an unstoppable back post Nige Cole header after a Teasdale corner.

On 74 minutes, Teasdale again provided an assist when he produced another goon ball for Parkinson to slot home, before a repeat of the combination added a seventh shortly afterwards.

The scoring was complete when Weatherbed became the latest player to benefit from a Teasdale cross.

Elsewhere, in a game full of chances Catterick Garrison came out on top away at Carperby.

The visitors raced into a two goal lead before John Pickard pulled one back after a long clearance from stand in keeper Seth Etches.

But Catterick scored another four before half time, despite Pickard hitting both posts and Jack Jones being brought down on his way through on goal.

In the second half Carperby had much of the play and Dave Fullerton saw his header go in after coming back out from a corner.

Carperby’s third was scored by veteran Mark Percival who raced through onto a flick from Pickard before finishing neatly in his first game for five years.

Percival then smashed his way through the keeper and defender, but his finish on the stretch went just wide of the post.


Carperby 3-9 Catterick Garrison

Hawes P-P Spennithorne

Reeth 0-8 Colburn

Richmond Mavericks 5-3 Leyburn

Unicorn 2-1 Richmond Buck


Medal Shield

Carperby v Colburn

Leyburn v Reeth

Richmond Town Reserves v Richmond Mavericks


Hawes v Unicorn

Richmond Buck v Spennithorne