Wensleydale League teams to play each other in North Riding Cup quarter finals

Carperby Rovers in their new strip sponsored by the Wheatsheaf Inn.

Two Scotts for Storage Wensleydale League teams will play each other in the quarter finals of the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup.

Carperby and Hawes both won through to the last eight with resounding victories.

Carperby played away against North Ormesby, who had knocked out Leyburn in the previous round.

The visitors kept their discipline, despite repeated provocation from the home-side, to return to the Dales with a dominant 3-0 win.

Carperby took the lead early when a Michael Dent through ball was smashed into the roof of the net by Sam Lambert.

Despite the keeper getting a hand on it, the power in Lambert’s shot ensured it hit the back of the net.

Carperby had much of the play in the first half, but couldn’t extend their lead before half-time.

The second half continued as the first had finished with Carperby getting onto the ball despite a number of robust challenges from the home side.

They got the opportunity to go two up when Sam Lambert was clipped by the keeper as he tried to round him which gave the ref no option but to give Carperby a penalty.

Michael Dent stepped up to slot the ball into the bottom corner.

Carperby made sure if the win when Dent was brought down in the area himself, and despite the aggressive appeals from the home side, the ref gave a second penalty, which Dent picked himself up to fire into the roof of the net to send Carperby through.

York Shamrocks were out of luck for their visit to the upper Dales, with two goals from Macauley Acton, and one each from Luke Wilkinson and Harrison Stott, enough to see Hawes through to the next round.

Back in the league, Spennithorne had a confidence-building win ahead of their big derby day game against Leyburn on Saturday, beating Reeth 5-2.

The goals were shared between Lee Thompson, Jake Gamble Schofield, Richard Jarvis, Tom Partridge and George Shaw.

Liam Stacey bagged both of Reeth’s goals.

Catterick Garrison managed to overcome a soft and bobbly surface away at Reeth to record a 5-0 win.

It took only four minutes for the deadlock to be broken. Connor Dagnall was released in the left channel with a nicely weighted pass. He collected, found a yard to beat his man before crossing for his strike partner Jake Oakes, who calmly guided the ball into the near post.

After more chances to extend the lead went by, Catterick went 2-0 up when Stephen Fleming headed in a Craig Teasdale corner.

Damien Hargreaves then rose highest to nod home a third, before Dagnall smashed a chance past the keeper from the edge of the box.

The visitors continued to dominate after the break with Jez Mortimer showing composure to chop back inside his man and finish well in the corner.

The remaining game of the weekend saw Leyburn put the previous week’s disappointment of a mauling at Hawes aside to deliver a thumping of their own to Richmond Town Academy.

Jack Crook got a hat-trick while Riley Girgan got a brace. George Catterall, Alex Goldie, Will Hewson and Aiden Leahy also netted.

George Rutherford and James Connelly got Richmond’s goals.



Askrigg 0-5 Catterick Garrison

Spennithorne 5-2 Reeth

Medals Shield

Leyburn 9-3 Richmond Town Academy

North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup

Hawes 4-1 York Shamrocks

North Ormesby 0-3 Carperby



All league

Askrigg v Hawes

Leyburn v Spennithorne

Richmond Town Academy v Reeth

Unicorn v Carperby