Wensleydale League title chase becomes two-horse race

The race for the league title has become a two-horse race with only Richmond Town Reserves and Unicorn now able to finish the season top of the table.

This report is sponsored by:

After a sensational end to the season from Town, who have won their last five fixtures, it is the Newbiggin team which must now win there last three games — and improve their goal difference by at least seven.

Unicorn’s remaining games will be played in less than a week and are all away at Richmond Buck tonight, Catterick Garrison on Saturday and then Leyburn on Tuesday.

It could have been a different story had Richmond Mavericks not found their title challenge ended by Carperby.

The six-goal thriller was played out at Carperby last Wednesday.

Carperby took the lead after good work by Sam Lambert, which set up his brother Scott to smash the ball into the far corner from just inside the box.

Carperby went two up when James Spence hit another wonder goal from 35 yards over the keeper into the top corner.

Two became three when the Lambert brothers again worked together, Sam unselfishly laying the ball past the keeper for Scott to tap home.

Mavs soon pulled a goal back just before half time when the Carperby defence failed to clear and Mark Sims finished.

The second half was end to end with both teams getting good chances, and veteran striker Wayne Gredziak was a constant threat but becoming increasingly frustrated which lead to a yellow card.

However, Gredziak got Mavs’ second when he looped a header into the top corner.

Both sides continued to create chances and Carperby had two big chances to put the game to bed.

First Sam Lambert drove through the defence before his effort was saved brilliantly by the Mavs keeper.

Then with just minutes left to play Lambert put Michael Dent through who controlled expertly before rounding the keeper but hitting the post from a tight angle.

The drama wasn’t over though as a altercation involving several players occurred before Mavs knocked a long ball upfield which was headed into the path of Gredziak who finished well with the last kick of the game before receiving a second yellow for his reaction.

On Saturday, Richmond Town Reserves needed a late penalty from Edward Lewington to see off Catterick Garrison.

Harry Needham had put the Richmond team ahead after just three minutes, but his goal was cancelled out by an effort from Sanny Lingthep.

Hawes are another team which is finishing the season strongly.

They beat Spennithorne and Harmby 4-1 on Saturday.

Tommy Calvert gave Hawes the lead after a quarter of an hour and then nearly made it two with a spectacular free kick that hit the cross bar.

Two goals from Dan Richardson before half-time gave the upper Dales team a commanding lead at the break.

Jack Crook pulled one back for Spenni before Tom Wallis made it 4-1 on 81 minutes.

Richmond Mavericks found some consolation for the slip-up at Carperby by beating Reeth 6-1.

In some sad news for the league, it has been announced that Colburn have withdrawn due to a shortage of players.

Results –  all league


Catterick Garrison 1-2 Richmond Town Reserves

Hawes 4-1 Spennithorne

Richmond Mavericks 6-1 Reeth


Carperby 3-3 Richmond Mavericks

Catterick Garrison 3-0 Spennithorne


Richmond Town Reserves 4-0 Richmond Buck

Fixtures – all league


Reeth v Catterick Garrison

Richmond Buck v Unicorn


Catterick Garrison v Unicorn

Leyburn v Hawes

Reeth v Spennithorne

Richmond Mavericks v Carperby


Leyburn v Unicorn