Wensleydale Show becomes latest event to be cancelled due to coronavirus

Wensleydale Show chairman Kenton Foster. Photo: Philip Sedgwick.

The Wensleydale Show has become the latest agricultural event to be cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Organisers say they have taken the decision for health and safety reasons of visitors and exhibitors.

Organisers of Reeth, Muker and Tan Hill shows have already announced they will not take place this year.

The Wensleydale Show, which was due to take place on August 29, went ahead last year despite the area being hit by severe flooding.

But show chairman Kenton Foster said rules and fears regarding coronavirus had forced the volunteer team of organisers to reluctantly cancel this year’s event.

He said: “The health and safety of our visitors and anyone involved at the show is of paramount importance to us.

 “Therefore, regrettably we have made the hard decision to cancel this year’s show.

“We very much hope everyone will join us next year to enjoy our many attractions and exhibits.”

Its committee is to meet to discuss the possibility of holding a smaller digital event with some classes judged online.

Organisers say planning for next year’s show will start soon.

Anyone who would like to be involved should contact a show secretary.

For further information visit wensleydaleshow.org.uk/