Wins for Colburn, Unicorn, Mavs and Leyburn in Medals Shield

It was Medals Shield quarter final day for Wensleydale Creamery League teams on Saturday with the draw producing what looked to be some tasty fixtures on paper at least.

This report is sponsored by:

The exception was probably the Carperby v Colburn game which looked to be an away banker.

However, through injuries, work commitments and ineligibility, Colburn were reduced to the bare bones, and were unable to field any subs.

So when just before half time Nige Cole crashed to the ground and had to be withdrawn, Colburn faced the prospect of 45 minutes with ten men.

Fortunately for them, by this point the game had effectively been decided by an eight-minute flurry of goals early in the match.

Colburn’s stand-in keeper, Ashley McInerney, normally a midfielder, had a major part to play in starting the mini goal rush off, when his clearance on seven minutes found Tom Sweeney on the edge of Carperby’s box.

As Sweeney turned towards goal the defender slipped, leaving Sweeney to rifle the ball home.

Four minutes later, Colburn won a freekick midway between the halfway line and Carperby’s goal line.

Up stepped Callum Sheridan to deliver a peach of a ball into the goalmouth, where Brandon Bishop rose like the proverbial salmon to plant his header in the back of the net.

A further four minutes passed, and Sweeney touched the ball to Craig Teasdale to the right of the area.

Teasdale took a quick look up and placed his shot over the keeper into the far corner of the net. Game over? Not quite. A rare Carperby attack almost produced a response, when a shot cannoned back off the bar, with McInerney helpless.

But the pressure was all at Carperby’s end and chances continued to come and go.

Joe Woodall, revelling in his role behind the strikers, found himself with the keeper to beat, but the ball bobbled as he took his shot.

Next up was Connor Weatherbed, chasing down yet another ball, who blocked an attempted clearance down the left, but sent his shot right across the goal.

After 37 minutes, the pressure told, when a Teasdale corner reached the far post, where Cole ducked to nod it in.

Three minutes later came Cole’s injury and withdrawal, but there was just time for Stuart Murray to drive in on goal, but he managed to drag his effort wide.

So the half time score was 4-0. Colburn’s manager did a spot of reshuffling at the interval, pushing Bishop back into the back three, and asking Woodall to drop into midfield. Understandably, against ten men, Carperby had much more of the ball second half and indeed did claw a goal back when a shot from distance flew over McInerney into the goal.

In his manager’s words “Bash grabbed fresh air”.

Woodall sent a shot over, then had another effort disallowed, but on 70 minutes an attack down the left found Sheridan almost on the goal line.

He wriggled past the defenders and pulled it back for Murray to nonchalantly flick it into the goal.

Richmond Mavericks remain unbeaten after winning at home to Catterick Garrison 7-1.

Well-set striker Andrew Pritchard got a couple, while Kalem Stanbger scored a worldy from 25 yards.

Veteran player Ian Miller, who was celebrating his birthday, managed to send a pea-roller of a penalty goalwards, which was easily stopped by the Catterick keeper.

Unicorn made the semi final by beating Spennithorne 4-0 away.

Spenni old boy Liam Reeves was among the visitors’ scorers. Ryan Crowther, Mark Sims and Matthew Bateson also netted for the Richmond team.

Also through are Leyburn who beat Richmond Town Academy 2-0 with goals from Callum Rankine and James Stanger.

In the league’s only game, Richmond Buck completed the double over Hawes with a 4-2 win on a perfect day for football at Aldborough Saint John.

A competitive start saw a few spicy challenges and some good passing play.

Buck took the lead when man of the match Michael Slater finished a good move down the Hawes left, cutting the ball across the keeper from a wide angle.

Slater was out to impress after fluffing a great chance the week before, which his team mates didn’t let him forget in a hurry, and he more than made amends with an all action performance.

Buck made it two when Connor Metcalfe squared the ball from the wing for a Josh Wooff tap in.

Hawes were back in it on the hour when Buck failed to clear their lines from a corner and Matt Guy found the net.

Buck restored and then increased their lead with great work from two subs Jacob Tate and Rob Fotheringham.

Fotheringham cut inside his marker from the left wing and curled in a cross that Wooff deftly poked into the far corner of the goal for 3-1.

Tate then fed Fotheringham 20 minutes later with a superb outside of the boot pass and Fotheringham found the same corner for his first goal for the club.

Jodie Richardson pulled one back for Hawes to make it 4-2, but Buck held on for the points in a game that was excellently referred by Kierran Corrigan.


Medals Shield
Carperby 1-5 Colburn Town
Richmond Mavericks 7-1 Catterick Garrison
Richmond Town Academy 0-2 Leyburn Town
Spennithorne and Hadmby 0-4 Unicorn
Richmond Buck 4-2 Hawes
Fixtures – 24.11.18
Carperby v Reeth
Colburn v Catterick Garrison
Richmond Mavericks v Richmond Town
Spennithorne and Harmby v Richmond Buck Inn
Unicorn v Hawes United