Wins for Hawes and Unicorn as Mavs lose to Catterick

Hawes v Richmond Town Reserves.

A win over Richmond Town Reserves means Hawes United are now firmly in the title race.

The 2-1 victory means they are level on points with second placed Richmond Mavericks after their league campaign was dented by a 4-2 loss to Catterick Garrison.

This report is sponsored by:

Unicorn remain top of the pile thanks to a 3-1 win away at Spennithorne.

Richmond Town Reserves started with a 4-3-3 formation in their game against Hawes and started strongly with Nathan Simpson, Ross Gladman and Danny Allen working well to control the midfield.

Simpson was forced to come off after 30 minutes with a hamstring issue and was replaced by Turnbull. Town immediately took the lead as Lewington swung in a free kick and Tyler Spence found himself with only the keeper to beat.

Town continued to press for the rest of the half without creating any clear cut chances, Cam Spence, Beresford and Lewington were all causing the Hawes backline problems but the final ball was lacking.

Town started the second half in the same manner and Simpson forced a good save from the Hawes keeper.

The Wensleydale team started to get a foothold in the game but were beginning to think it wasn’t to be their day when Tom Calvert hit the right post in the 50th minute shortly followed by Brandon Acton hitting the left post.

They finally levelled however with a rocket from Dan Richardson in the 70th minute.

The momentum fully swung in Hawes favour and they got a late winner as Calvert wriggled through and finished neatly to claim all three points.

Carperby ran out comfortable winners despite a spirited display from visitors Reeth who started with ten with their 11th player not quite getting there for kick off.

Despite the depleted numbers the away side had a couple of early chances, but the home side missed good chances of their own before Scott Alderson found Sam Lambert who finished well into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Alderson then made it two against his former club, smashing the ball into the bottom corner after a good ball from Tim Weatherill.

Lambert finished well for his second after a great drilled through ball from Jimmy Spence, before Reeth pulled a goal back with a good finish from Jack Lancaster when the ball came back to him on the edge of the area.

Carperby ensured their control of the game before half time with a lovely dinked finish by Luke Morland after Ben Metcalfe’s driving run forward.

Carperby continued in the second half with Sam Lambert completing his hat-trick after another great Weatherill pass.

After a handball in the area record goalscorer John Pickard came forward from goal to take the penalty to smash the ball into the roof of the net.

Michael Dent’s smart finish from the edge of the area made it seven after great work by the marauding Josh Brown on the right wing.

A great second half display from Lyle Wright in the Reeth goal kept the score to seven.

Unicorn’s Callum Sheridan had an eventful game in their 3-1 win over Spenni.

The former Colburn player scored two before getting sent off for a second yellow.

Tom Sweeney got the visitor’s other goal, while Lee Davison scored for the home side.

By their own admission Richmond Mavericks were awful in their game against Catterick Garrison.

Two goals from Owen Kelly were not enough for the Mavs to suffer their fourth loss of the season.

Results – all league

Carperby 7-1 Reeth

Catterick Garrison 4-2 Richmond Mavericks

Hawes 2-1 Richmond Town Reserves

Spennithorne 1-3 Unicorn

Fixtures – 29.1.22

Carperby v Richmond Mavericks

Hawes v Catterick Garrison

Reeth v Spennithorne

Richmond Town Reserves v Unicorn